Burning excessive amount of oil

Reaction score
I changed my oil over the weekend and yesterday I emptied the oil pan into the gallon containers and realized I had only drained out 9 qts. of oil. I know for a fact the last time I put in 13 qts to fill it. I've been using delo 400 LE oil And it was about 8000 miles sense changing it. I do have a ccv bypass that goes to my exhaust and I do not notice any oil leaks or spotting. The last time I change my did notice I was about 2 are low so I made sure to remember filling with 13 are. What could be causing such a high amount of oil consumption? My blow by seems to be normal for the 6.7 and my oil cap doesn't even float. It just vibrates when loosened.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Try shortening the interval. That CK4 Isn't F1, so 8k is pushing it a bit. 5 might help it keep from coking, if that's the issue anyway. If not at least you're in the safe zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'll give it a try. I did have it tested the time before last and it came back good. Could it be from having the ccv bypass?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I'll give it a try. I did have it tested the time before last and it came back good. Could it be from having the ccv bypass?

It's a long shot.

Coking won't be on analysis, it's something I've learned through seeing thousands of trucks on every oil ever made.

Send me your last report if you want me to peek at it

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Think about it,You went from a CLOSED CRANKCASE,to atmosphreric .The oil vapors are no longer contained.I know the catch can I have on my CCV ****** consistantly has about 3/4 qt of oil in about 5000 miles.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Think about it,You went from a CLOSED CRANKCASE,to atmosphreric .The oil vapors are no longer contained.I know the catch can I have on my CCV ****** consistantly has about 3/4 qt of oil in about 5000 miles.

Valid point to be sure. But, I have Customers that have no consumption over 5k. My 6.4 had pretty bad blow by but would only consume a quart of oil in 20k. But to be honest, I dytgink there's anything to be concerned about. I have however started seeing Delo 400 LE CK4 analysis from my fleets and there's definitely something funky monkey. Shortening the interval seems to help.

Reaction score
For what its worth, I've owned 3 d-eleted 6.7s and never once lost any oil at all between oil changes. I ran them till the oil change light came on, then would change it myself. Which was typically about 7500 miles for me. I either ran Rotella 5w-40 synthetic or the motorcraft 10w30 semi synthetic. I would measure my oil in a 5 gallon bucket that has the measurement marks on it every time, again without any loss of oil. And for me, it made no difference whether my CCV was vented to atmosphere or still hooked up in the factory location (I ran it both ways). I honestly think you may have something going on if you lost 4 quarts in a matter of one oil change interval.

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score
For what its worth, I've owned 3 d-eleted 6.7s and never once lost any oil at all between oil changes. I ran them till the oil change light came on, then would change it myself. Which was typically about 7500 miles for me. I either ran Rotella 5w-40 synthetic or the motorcraft 10w30 semi synthetic. I would measure my oil in a 5 gallon bucket that has the measurement marks on it every time, again without any loss of oil. And for me, it made no difference whether my CCV was vented to atmosphere or still hooked up in the factory location (I ran it both ways). I honestly think you may have something going on if you lost 4 quarts in a matter of one oil change interval.

Yes, totally agree. My 6.7, with 230k miles, does not eat any oil between changes.

cappa

Reaction score
This may sound dumb but how are you checking your oil? When I first ******d mine I was checking it cold and it seemed like it was always dropping. I added a few times, then started to get the truck to full temp, shut it off and let it sit, and then check it 20 min later and have yet to add any in the last 15000k or so. The 6.7 is a finicky bitch to get a good reading I find. I have stock ccv by the way but fully ******d with egr blocker plates.

neverkickn

Reaction score

Before you did the ccv wasn't that 3/4 qt just burning up and running out the tailpipe?

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score
This may sound dumb but how are you checking your oil? When I first ******d mine I was checking it cold and it seemed like it was always dropping. I added a few times, then started to get the truck to full temp, shut it off and let it sit, and then check it 20 min later and have yet to add any in the last 15000k or so. The 6.7 is a finicky bitch to get a good reading I find. I have stock ccv by the way but fully ******d with egr blocker plates.

Mine is similar. Plus if it's on any angle it's off.

Reaction score
A ccv ****** removes the black ccv box which I think drains a good bit of the oil back into the engine.
I know for a fact I filled it with 3 gallons plus a qt. the last time I changed the oil which was about 8k miles or 2 and a half months ago. I then refilled the gallon containers and filled up 2 of the containers plus about a qt of the next gallon. My blow by seems to be the same as it has always been since my ccv ******. See link at the bottom to watch a video that shows what it looks like. The last oil change before this I actually still have the sample and never mailed it in to blackstone. The oil change before that one in Jan I did do an analysis on and that one I noticed I was 2 qts short which was noted on the sample I sent in. I will send in this past sample and the one before to check them and see what it says. The oil change prior to the 1-27-17 sample is not long after I did the ccv to the exhaust which I did in June of 2016 and was Motorcraft 15w40 and changed at 6400 miles. My last 3 oil changes have all been the LE which definitely quiets down the ticking. Recently I did have an injector code for cylinder 6 pop up but went away the same day. Not sure if this has anything to do with oil consumption and I had on another thread. I also swapped turbos to the Streetmax X from the S363 the oil change before this last one that showed so much consumption.
When I check my oil I run it then cut it off and let it sit about 20 minutes then check it on a level surface.
I'm going on a cruise next week so I can't reply to this for a week so if you have some suggestions then give me some time to get back to you. Thanks for the help though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jcf-XDphPw

78c75f65b06a6a1b251b8d2a6a29f769.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
You may want to edit that report out of your post. You just gave your address and said when you would be gone. Up to you. Maybe a moderator can help.

Reaction score
I just got back in town. My oldest son is in college and didn't get that week off so he was home all week plus we have a security system.
Anyone have feedback from the oil sample as to what could be causing the excessive oil consumption?

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
I just got back in town. My oldest son is in college and didn't get that week off so he was home all week plus we have a security system.
Anyone have feedback from the oil sample as to what could be causing the excessive oil consumption?
Just enjoy your truck......

agentnut

Reaction score

Off topic question but I am interested in a info you have reference your catch can (i.e. Install, how's it working and brand). Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online