Progress report on my build

White_monster

Reaction score
Started it up. Runs a little rough but almost smoothes out with a little rpm. Performed a power balance test once up to temp and injector cut out test. Injectors 3 and 7 are showing erratic readings. Also found the tensioner pulley bolt for the dual fueler to me missing and both exhaust manifolds are falling off the heads, arp hardware is to long or doesn't like the heat. Oh well. Hopefully next month I'll get the injectors swapped.

White_monster

Reaction score
Well I finally started picking away at this. I had the injectors tested and they were fine. Went to reassemble and found the #3 take rocker and push tube wouldn't go together correctly. Found the lifter had come out of the holder, holder was broken. So I pulled the lifter out and found it had worn through the roller and the cam was chewed up.
D04B3178-12FA-481D-9918-E2B3E9A1121C.jpg
C3963659-3299-4728-A5A7-7667CAF2D034.jpg
Finally set my two post hoist up and pulls the cab for the first time. Removed the engine and found these bits in the oil pan. Upon inspection the pieces were the #4 piston cooling jet.
4DB0F797-BA6A-4966-A86D-8F6633A0D75E.jpg
Removed #7 piston/rod assembly and found the piston cooling nozzle had been rubbing the inside of the piston skirt. Looked all the pistons and there is a mark on every piston. So full disassembly is required and I will machine the pistons to clear the nozzle. #4 and #7 holes will need a hone to clean up the lite scoring, it looks worse than it really is.
25CFE799-0CAC-4B6E-A7F9-36A4D7217347.jpg
77917E5C-20EB-4E1B-8E1C-D45792DA93AA.jpg

In the mean time I have rolled the chassis outside and washed it down. I am going to clean up the rusty spots and repaint the frame and redo my hoses and working for a cleaner more factory look. Also I am going to install a second battery on the frame rail. The turbo kit is going to get a revamp in terms of cleaner welds and some paint/polish work. I have a fresh cam to go in as well, old one is toast. All bearings are good though. I will.be adding a RCD billet oil pump gearset to be safe. Now to save funds to order parts.

sootie

Reaction score
Good 'ol six fours....breaking hearts & wallets since 2008 lol

Black AOD

Reaction score
Good 'ol six fours....breaking hearts & wallets since 2008 lol

Ain't that the truth.

When they run right on the big power setups they are a force to be reckoned with though, I wont deny them that.

Then they usually break again soon afterwards LOL

Black AOD

Reaction score
Meanwhile, 6.7’s scatter before they even reach that power level. lol

Glad to see the progress Shane!

Yeah, can't argue that. 6.7's still seem to struggle to reliably hold 1000-1200whp for the most part. I think there are a few shops that are close on figuring out how to get them to bigger power levels, MPD and LFDP definitely being at the top of that list.

6.4's make the big power but their cracking heads and cracking blocks are still struggle factors....

And at the end of the day, we all lose to Cummins sadly LOL

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It doesnt matter what it is. There is a lot of money being spent to get anything to hold above 1k hp. Its just easier with a block/crank that runs straight up and down.. sadly...

live life full throttle

BOSS450

Reaction score
On mine I simply shortened the cooling jets. Still have the correct spray angle and has been living well at decent power levels.

Black AOD

Reaction score
On mine I simply shortened the cooling jets. Still have the correct spray angle and has been living well at decent power levels.

You and the rudys team also have the lightest 4wd 6.4 powered trucks possibly ever LOL

gwunter

Reaction score
Not trying to derail this any more, but I was thinking the 6.7psd was the toughest block to build off of? And it still struggles to hold 1khp fuel only? I don't follow 6.7 builds much though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Not trying to derail this any more, but I was thinking the 6.7psd was the toughest block to build off of? And it still struggles to hold 1khp fuel only? I don't follow 6.7 builds much though.

Six seven is probably the weakest after the seven three

Zeb

Reaction score

The block is CGI (I’m sure you knew that) which is very strong, but they scalloped and lightened it so much to keep weight down that they took a lot of strength out of it.
We all know the reputation of 6.7 rods....

jcain

Reaction score
The block is CGI (I’m sure you knew that) which is very strong, but they scalloped and lightened it so much to keep weight down that they took a lot of strength out of it.
We all know the reputation of 6.7 rods....

There's quite a few 1000+rwhp 6.7 with factory blocks and no girdle. Of course they need rods.

White_monster

Reaction score
Well all new gaskets for upper and lower of the engine have arrived. New rings. New billet RCD oil pump. New cam and lifter. New piston cooling jets. Liner is on route. Might sell my rods and try a custom set, any interest in my very lightly used set? Then it's time to decide if I should do a different turbo setup or just make my current setup pretty, like polished turbos and piping. Decisions decisions.