Power Folding Mirror Issues

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Every so often, one or both of the mirrors will begin to fold, or unfold, and then stop. I can help it along, it starts going again and then it POPS when it gets to the limit. I have made sure that I am pressing firmly on the switch and it still happens. I am still on the original batteries, but it still happens when the truck is running. The battery voltage when running is 14.2 and 11.9 when not. The truck is always parked inside and has 29k on it. Should I pull them apart and apply some grease so they don't break the mechanism? Any other thoughts? Is there a dedicated relay that might have some bad contacts on it?

Thank you in advance.

pog

Reaction score
Fold them both in by hand and hit the fold button after. I know for 08-10 models it would sync the mirrors. Worth a shot.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i always spray some wd40 in the tops and bottoms when they slow down and stick. hose it down good and hit the button a few times and they run like new. take it for a drive then wash whatever wd40 sprayed out on window and door. that has always worked for me and i fold and unfold my mirrors probably 10 times a day since i bought it off the lot in july of 2013.. there are little strips in there that get cought up from sticking too so thst might be a issue also. once they start to peel off they fold up. i think they are dust or dirt protection but i peeled them out a couple years ago due to them folding up and making the mirror stick halfway.

live life full throttle

dsmracing1

Reaction score
i always spray some wd40 in the tops and bottoms when they slow down and stick. hose it down good and hit the button a few times and they run like new. take it for a drive then wash whatever wd40 sprayed out on window and door. that has always worked for me and i fold and unfold my mirrors probably 10 times a day since i bought it off the lot in july of 2013.. there are little strips in there that get cought up from sticking too so thst might be a issue also. once they start to peel off they fold up. i think they are dust or dirt protection but i peeled them out a couple years ago due to them folding up and making the mirror stick halfway.

live life full throttle

Your a book of ford knowledge my friend haha. I'm gonna try that myself!

sootie

Reaction score

live life full throttle

those strips stop wind noise fyi

Jomax

Reaction score
Every so often, one or both of the mirrors will begin to fold, or unfold, and then stop. I can help it along, it starts going again and then it POPS when it gets to the limit. I have made sure that I am pressing firmly on the switch and it still happens. I am still on the original batteries, but it still happens when the truck is running. The battery voltage when running is 14.2 and 11.9 when not. The truck is always parked inside and has 29k on it. Should I pull them apart and apply some grease so they don't break the mechanism? Any other thoughts? Is there a dedicated relay that might have some bad contacts on it?

Thank you in advance.

11.9 volts is way too low. You have a bad battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
11.9 volts is way too low. You have a bad battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm kinda leaning that way. From what I have read, seems like the factory batteries barely make it 3-4 years and I am going on 5-1/2.

lol.. thanks.. is that what they are for? well I'll be damed.. didnt make a difference for mine.. lol

live life full throttle

Yep

I think I will aim for new batteries this weekend if I have the chance. Thanks guys.

JRLott

Reaction score
lol.. thanks.. is that what they are for? well I'll be damed.. didnt make a difference for mine.. lol

live life full throttle

I've no clue as to their true purpose, but as others have posted about hideous wind noise that have been solved once it was found said strips were gone and lacking any other evident purpose, I'm inclined to believe noise is their only reason for existence. Mine are still present, so I've no first person evidence or opinion. Glad they made no difference in your experience. I'll definitely store the lubrication information away. Very fine info. Thanks.

sootie

Reaction score
I've no clue as to their true purpose, but as others have posted about hideous wind noise that have been solved once it was found said strips were gone and lacking any other evident purpose, I'm inclined to believe noise is their only reason for existence. Mine are still present, so I've no first person evidence or opinion. Glad they made no difference in your experience. I'll definitely store the lubrication information away. Very fine info. Thanks.

you forgot he runs those chit a$s mastercraft wannabe boggers...zif he could here any wind noise lol

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
you forgot he runs those chit a$s mastercraft wannabe boggers...zif he could here any wind noise lol
lol.. they are not loud at all honestly. i keep them rotated at 5k intervals so they barely make a noise.. i can hear more truck crap then anything from the tires..

live life full throttle

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Replaced the batteries a couple weeks ago and same thing. Just pulled the drivers side and hosed it with silicone PTFE spray. Ran it multiple times until the computer shut me down. Went through that about 5 times. Still having the same issues. I noticed that sometimes the drivers side works great and the passenger side sucks. Now I'm at starting to wonder if it is some breakdown in the tuning........ Any merit to this? I did recall that this may have started happening within a month or two of my last tune change. I'm not sure that replacing the mirror would remedy this especially since it seems to slightly alternate between the two mirrors.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Replaced the batteries a couple weeks ago and same thing. Just pulled the drivers side and hosed it with silicone PTFE spray. Ran it multiple times until the computer shut me down. Went through that about 5 times. Still having the same issues. I noticed that sometimes the drivers side works great and the passenger side sucks. Now I'm at starting to wonder if it is some breakdown in the tuning........ Any merit to this? I did recall that this may have started happening within a month or two of my last tune change. I'm not sure that replacing the mirror would remedy this especially since it seems to slightly alternate between the two mirrors.
i have had my 12 since the first week of july 2013 and i have folded my mirrors daily at least 3 times a day.. they get slow about once a year so i lube them and the driver side has always been slower then the passenger side even when new.. maybe squirt some lube behind the mirror as well.

live life full throttle

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
i have had my 12 since the first week of july 2013 and i have folded my mirrors daily at least 3 times a day.. they get slow about once a year so i lube them and the driver side has always been slower then the passenger side even when new.. maybe squirt some lube behind the mirror as well.

live life full throttle

I pulled it off the truck and did everything but dunk it in lube. Made a nice mess. I spent a little more time afterwards and found the repair part link above and this as well http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4-exterior-discussion/268628-power-fold-fix-5-a.html. I might be stuck tearing the thing down this far, but I will get some epoxy first before I go that far.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I pulled it off the truck and did everything but dunk it in lube. Made a nice mess. I spent a little more time afterwards and found the repair part link above and this as well http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4-exterior-discussion/268628-power-fold-fix-5-a.html. I might be stuck tearing the thing down this far, but I will get some epoxy first before I go that far.
oh wow.. yeah that is poopy.. good find on the fix thread. im hoping i dont have to do that. but plastic will wear. i try to keep it lubed to prevent that.

live life full throttle

RyanD

Reaction score
This thread and that fix thread are going to make some WD 40 added to my 'drain the fuel filter and check fluids' monthly checklist.

This used to happen in my '97 Trans Am headlights - the gear would strip, but in true GM genius, the mechanism that raised the lights only used half of the gear, so you could just flip it over.

Latest posts

Members online