V nose vs regular on 24' race trailer.

HPGod

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've towed damn near everything, but wondering if I should go v nose or regular front on my next car hauler.

It adds length and the front space isn't as useful, but is the added efficiency of the V nose worth the trade offs? Wondering what you think.

Power or ability to tow isn't a concern(61mm tow max 3.73 dually), just wondering from an efficiency standpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I get 9-10mpg with my 24ft enclose flat nose empty or loaded. Doesn't matter.

I've towed a v nose before and the mpg wasn't much better in my experience. I don't like v nose for cabinets up front. I prefer my flat nose

TyCorr

Reaction score
I find the opposite. My old trailer was 9'2" inside and my new one is 8'6". Old one was flat, new one is v. The new one I dont feel the wind piling up in front of it.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
My old race trailer was a 44' v nose steel frame and got 8-9mph and our new trailer is 44' aluminum flat nose with more equipment and we get 9-10mph but might be attributed to aluminum.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My old trailer had 650k miles on it too....so i had a good feel for it lol

TyCorr

Reaction score
My old race trailer was a 44' v nose steel frame and got 8-9mph and our new trailer is 44' aluminum flat nose with more equipment and we get 9-10mph but might be attributed to aluminum.

Theres got to be a pretty big weight difference. 44'? Crikey, thats a big trailer!

valvetick

Reaction score
I had a 20' enclosed bumper pull that I got 10 mpg pulling and worse if heading in a head wind. Now I have a 44' gooseneck LQ race trailer with a small V and full width across and mileage only dropped to 8-9 mpg but weighs way more. Wind plays a huge role in my truck more then the weight it seems.
9338608ecb7a1eabfdb1ff143699c83a.jpg

JRLott

Reaction score
I grew up pulling a 16' GN metal and a 20' GN aluminum both solid front. The 20' was lighter than the 16' empty an you could tell a big difference at low speeds. Once at highway speeds, the 20' pulled a lot heavier because it was 2' taller and caught a lot more air. Don't remember the mpg difference between the two. Not sure it could have been quantified because we never hauled similar loads on similar trips. This was with a 460 and 350s. The 350s were carb and EFI, 460 was carb, and there were no turbos on oil burners in those days, unless you reduced yourself to driving a Dodge.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had a 460 in two rclb f350s. A 94 and 95 to be exact. I cant imagine pulling an enclosed trailer down the highway. Screw that lol.

That wind starts nailin the bulkhead of the trailer and it gets ugly quick. A gasser 6l chevy you have to hold to the floor to maintain 65mph.

Jomax

Reaction score
I had a 460 in two rclb f350s. A 94 and 95 to be exact. I cant imagine pulling an enclosed trailer down the highway. Screw that lol.

That wind starts nailin the bulkhead of the trailer and it gets ugly quick. A gasser 6l chevy you have to hold to the floor to maintain 65mph.

Lol, I'm lucky there with a diesel. Trailer I got is a high roof haul haulmark edge. So I got some wind drag.

Only issue I'm running into is sway when I pass a vehicle, way worse passing a semi. Need to get a friction swaybar.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Lol, I'm lucky there with a diesel. Trailer I got is a high roof haul haulmark edge. So I got some wind drag.

Only issue I'm running into is sway when I pass a vehicle, way worse passing a semi. Need to get a friction swaybar.

I do have a diesel. I got the first trailer and my work pile was an 03 cclb 6.0 silverado. That was in 04...later...enter my first duraturd. Lly. Then in 06 i got an 07 lbz classic. Then 5 more ending in July of 14. Duramaxless since April of 15.

Still have Charlie Bronson (00 ccsb 7.3 since oct 00)

Poglife

Reaction score
are you running stock suspension in the rear of the truck or do you have air bags?
I had a 20' enclosed bumper pull that I got 10 mpg pulling and worse if heading in a head wind. Now I have a 44' gooseneck LQ race trailer with a small V and full width across and mileage only dropped to 8-9 mpg but weighs way more. Wind plays a huge role in my truck more then the weight it seems.
9338608ecb7a1eabfdb1ff143699c83a.jpg

valvetick

Reaction score
are you running stock suspension in the rear of the truck or do you have air bags?

On both trucks I have ran air bags. 6.0 was a 350 SRW with lift block and air bags and my new 6.7 is a 350 SRW with just lift block and bags again.

The trailer has a max pin weight of 3700lbs when the garage is unloaded but that becomes less as the garage fills up and distributes the weight better.

Latest posts

Members online