Re-Using Cracked heads?

TRUBBS

Reaction score
So I've been on the fence about this, and keep going back forth on what to do.
I've spoke to a few people who I feel know what they're talking about and they've suggested just reusing mine,
But part of me says to get new ones, but is it worth it?

Those of you whove built engines before, What are your guys thoughts on using heads with cracks?

I know the ones from ford aren't good anymore either and are either still cracked, not flat or are cut to thin.
One machine shop here can get aftermarket ones from India with more nickel for 1400 (reusing my valve train) thoughts on this?

Attachments

• IMG_7235.JPG
    IMG_7235.JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 218

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
#1 get them pressure checked if they pass then do what you are comfortable with.

I know people that have used heads with small cracks like that without issue but I would probably be replacing them because that's just how I am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Black AOD

Reaction score
#1 get them pressure checked if they pass then do what you are comfortable with.

I know people that have used heads with small cracks like that without issue but I would probably be replacing them because that's just how I am.

What Cody Said

TRUBBS

Reaction score
That's kind of where I'm at.
I wanna replace but can't trust ford for new ones.
And not sure how much I trust QC from Over seas

Black AOD

Reaction score
That's kind of where I'm at.
I wanna replace but can't trust ford for new ones.
And not sure how much I trust QC from Over seas

I wouldn't use any overseas manfactured head period.

I've had New Ford Heads on now for 2.5 years....machined flat, hardened valve seats, Smith Bro's Push Rods, RCV valve Springs, HD Valves, and Extreme H13 Head Studs. About a year with a setup making 650whp....Now 2.5 yrs later somewhere in the range of mid 800s creeping in on 900whp.

No issues on these heads so far.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I have ran cracked heads a couple times. When I talked to the machine shop guy in Denver he said basically once the crack reaches the glow plug hole it stops growing. He said he's only seen 1 6.0/6.4 head leak pressure tested... this was back in 2010 but still. I put press in seats in that particular set of heads and ran them for a long time. I would think the biggest concern would be a crack in the exhaust seat growing and getting torched out from the combustion temps... never seen that either and I have ran several cracked stock heads.

Strokersace

Reaction score
So I just got a call from the machine shop and I guess I'm in the same boat.

Several cracks. Some between intake and glow plugs hole. But several that are cracked between exhaust valves.

Not confident on these heads at all. The other oem heads I have are still on the engine and it'll be several weeks before I can get them off to see their condition. He said he can get me "new" aftermarket heads for $1400 using my parts. But isn't sure on name or manufacturer.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
So I just got a call from the machine shop and I guess I'm in the same boat.

Several cracks. Some between intake and glow plugs hole. But several that are cracked between exhaust valves.

Not confident on these heads at all. The other oem heads I have are still on the engine and it'll be several weeks before I can get them off to see their condition. He said he can get me "new" aftermarket heads for $1400 using my parts. But isn't sure on name or manufacturer.

Any thoughts?

There's a lot of talk about this on the 6.0 forum at powerstroke.org. From my brief reading, it seems they've got a new aftermarket casting with thicker deck surface. No negative feedback yet. However, very little time on the market.

I don't know if any of those vendors offer the option for the 6.4, but it worth a read at the very least. It will give you some insight has to who the players are offering aftermarket castings....

Strokersace

Reaction score
There's a lot of talk about this on the 6.0 forum at powerstroke.org. From my brief reading, it seems they've got a new aftermarket casting with thicker deck surface. No negative feedback yet. However, very little time on the market.

I don't know if any of those vendors offer the option for the 6.4, but it worth a read at the very least. It will give you some insight has to who the players are offering aftermarket castings....
Got a link? I'm not a member over there.

He stated he's used these new aftermarket heads on other 6.4s and no negative feedback yet. Not sure how recent that has been.

He's the main machinist that all of the shops around my area use for 6.0 and 6.4s.

Reaction score
Idk.. mixed comments in those threads... it seems like these promaxx guys changed the casting up a bit, utilizing some 6.4 changes..

Give either KC or Kill devil a call and see what they say...

I dont have their contact info, but sure it can be found in those threads.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Idk.. mixed comments in those threads... it seems like these promaxx guys changed the casting up a bit, utilizing some 6.4 changes..

Give either KC or Kill devil a call and see what they say...

I dont have their contact info, but sure it can be found in those threads.

I'll call KC in the morning.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Spoke to Jared at kill diesel the other day. They're offering 6.4 heads as well. Said their using the same new casting designs as the 6.0s and going through them as well.

Also talked​ to Jared at at Midwest about their recommendations and they are going WTH reman OEM still. He said that the remans have improved a good bit over the last several years and are seeing less and less with cracks.

Reaction score
Well, at least you have some more options. I didn't have that option so i chose to build the remans as best i could.

Morgan from Midwest and I went through several long conversations; ultimately I chose to have new remans pressure tested, press-in valve guides, press-in seats, upgraded valve springs, and thermal barrier coated. It was a pretty penny.

So far, the TBC seems to be holding up well; roughly 15k miles on the build. I stuck my borescope through the glow plug hole at 10k miles, all looked good. I plan on doing the same at 25k miles and comparing the pics.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Well, at least you have some more options. I didn't have that option so i chose to build the remans as best i could.

Morgan from Midwest and I went through several long conversations; ultimately I chose to have new remans pressure tested, press-in valve guides, press-in seats, upgraded valve springs, and thermal barrier coated. It was a pretty penny.

So far, the TBC seems to be holding up well; roughly 15k miles on the build. I stuck my borescope through the glow plug hole at 10k miles, all looked good. I plan on doing the same at 25k miles and comparing the pics.

Yeah Midwest flat said that their "worked over" heads would be WAY overkill for my application: Stock fuel and 59/72 turbos (someday).

With the Ford remans though, they come complete. So I'd have more time and $$$ into them at machine shop getting new guides, seats, etc. Along with my hd springs installed.

So IDK which way I'm going yet!

TRUBBS

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I had my cracked set pressure tested & they passed so I ran with them. I haven't had any issues yet even tho I don't have a ton of miles, I dynoed it 3 days after baveing it back together & haven't seen any puking from the degas bottle

Latest posts

Members online