What E fuel to buy?

Reaction score
These days time has become a bigger consideration over $$$. I would never have considered buying a fuel system in the past, it is something I would have designed and built myself, having built plenty of class 8 trucks and rebuilt plenty of yellow iron. However with being 150 miles from home 4-5 nights a week and thus having 1.5 days per week to spend on anything I'm thinking I'm buying a system.

Reliability: Fit up and routing / clamping of lines has to be as good or better than factory. Not going to have a bunch of push loc tie wrapped all over.

Pump itself and any control components have to be readily available and easy to have as spares. Also must be able to change on the road fairly easily.

Filtration: Needs to make sense with staged micron rating on the filters and excellent to the best water separation. A primary and secondary filter with draw through on the primary. 30 micron> pump > 2 micron. Readily available and easily changed filters. Clear drain able bowl on the primary is a plus.

Reaction score
So a stock SD pump is probably sufficient and dual stock pumps if single won't keep up.
Yes there are many higher perf pumps but they don't fit the reliability / availability criteria above....
Need to be able to guard the filters for off road. Don't normally get too serious off roading, but the have to case comes along now and then. Just this week friends of mine got cut off by a forest fire and had to haul butt through many miles of logging roads. Wouldn't want a flying stick to hit the fuel filter and strand you in that situation.

Reaction score
2 more criteria:

There needs to be some photos and details provided on the routing etc of fuel system. Not just one generic photo and no installed photos.

How willing the vendor is to call or e mail and discuss details is another BIG factor. Promises not kept, non returned mails and calls make a huge difference.

Reaction score
So my following opinions of various systems are just that my opinion based on what I can see on the net and gather from the MFG if they got back to me.
I am a one way picky old SOB don't forget.

Marty's: Don't like the way the filters are spread out, and have to dismantle everything to change the pump. Very little info on the web, no response to inquiries. The photos on the site are the same for several systems.

Irate, New upgraded filter head is cool, new Deatsch Werks pump (reliability, interchangeability, availability?) Will a readily available pump fit? Not too keen on how the hardlines run on the engine although at least they are hardlines!

Bar None the bracket seems to be ok. the rest is just a box of hose and fittings as far as I can tell. Not many I would choose either

Beans Has a nice primary filter as far as micron and separator go. Other wise just hose an box it seems to me. Probably works great.

DieselSite. I am generally a fan of Bobs products. But in this case we have the stepped filtration issue, Diesel Site sucks through a 2 micron, no secondary. I did get some communication back but the 2 micron pre pump is a non discussable factor. Set in stone. Doesn't sell individual components of the system.

Strictly Diesel. Dennis was the only one to one to get back to me and have a conversation. His e mail on the subject was lengthy and passionate. Hardline set up on engine is 80% of how I'd do it but reasonable. The control system is a bit more complicated than it has to be but on the other hand, but could be changed to suit.

Any I havent thought of ?

Last edited:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I used a DynoProven kit but changed it around to suit my needs. I will post pics later as Photobucket turned into extortionists.

I built the system around reliability and ease of service/parts availability. No hoses running all over the place. Retain both tanks.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
I used the original Bean's fuel setup and was happy with it. It used Stanadyne FM-100 bases and filters.

The present kit appears to use possibly NAPA FM-100 style bases along with Wix/NAPA filters. It mounts just forward of the side fuel tank. The kit is more than parts in a box. The filter bases and fuel pump mount on a flat piece of aluminum plate that mounts on a section of C-channel spacer that fits between the frame rails. The fuel pump is mounted with a machined aluminum clamp between the filter bases. The plate is mounted by two bolts to the frame. Beans used to sell a piggy-back bracket to mount dual pumps. Only fabbing that needs to be done is making a bracket for the fuel pressure regulator. I just made a tab bracket off of the HPO reservoir to mount the regulator. The kit reuses the original fuel return lines and they are run to the new regulator. Also, it appears the kit still uses a modded fuel rail plug for drivers side head.

Its more than just parts in a box, the mounting plate is well made along with the machined fuel pump clamp. Every thing needed is in the package except some HD nylon wire ties to mount the hose and wiring. The instructions were just a little vague but that may be fixed by now.

If ground clearance is an issue, Stanadyne makes a short filter cartridge in the FM100 filter series. They come in 4", 6" and 8" lengths, the ones pictured on Beans website are the 6" ones. I think the 4" ones would be almost flush (or less) with the frame rails. The filters come in a full range of filtration form 150 microns to 2 microns. Wix/NAPA makes the FM100s in the 6" lengths. It would not be hard to make a mini bash plate for the fuel system.

Changes I made to the kit was using all SS hose and fittings, adding a second modded fuel rail plug to the pass enger side, stainless steel tubing to get rid of the loops of rubber hose on the filter/pump assembly, and a bypass switch so I could operate the pump without the engine running. That made it easy to adjust the fuel pressure and purge air out of the fuel system.

Beans uses a pushlock hose fitting for the AN-6 head connection.

All AN tubing sweep bends are too long and hit the firewall except for just one close bend Aeroquip Swivelok fitting that is available in steel and aluminum. I suggest the steel fitting since the aluminum fitting tend to collapse when tightening up (ask me how I know!) even if the steel is $35 instead of $10. Got mine from Summit Racing special order and 3-4 weeks backorder time.

Kit had no problem feeding my truck at about 430hp. My kit came with an Airtex SD replacement. The current system comes with a Bosch -044 pump that (according to Beans and others) will support over 500hp. I think the Bosch pump fits a SD mounting clamp.

I liked it! I'm using it as a pattern for making my next fuel system. Old kit is now in buddy's truck still running well.

Last edited:

Optimator82

Reaction score
I have the Strictly Diesel kit on my truck and I'm happy with it. The instructions for installing it with pictures was well laid out. I would prefer to have the fuel pressure regulator mount on the HPOP reservoir vs the alternator but otherwise no complaints for it being a complete kit with everything one needs to convert to Efuel. Another positive is Strictly Diesel sells individual components and parts too if one wanted to use some of their parts to custom build a system to their liking.

RBernardi

Reaction score
I built my own last Oct. using napa bases, Baldwin filters, mostly push lock fittings, and fuel line from a local hose supply place. My regulator was a knock off aeromotive, and the pump was a quantum fuel pump. They sell their pumps on eBay, but are also local to me. I was just shy of $400 with everything including a few sheets of sticky heat wrap for the valley and head hoses. Oh and that's with wiring (which I'm oblivious to) thanks army!

Reaction score
I would love to hear / see your experience with this kit. Do you have any pics of the layout on the engine? How was the install, fit up, layout? Does it use a true water separator 30 mic or so primary? @ mic secondary?

79jasper

Reaction score
I'll have to run out to get pics.
3367 pre-filter, 33528 post.
Install was fairly easy. Hardest part was getting the lines under the turbo.
Then I hooked into the selector valve wrong. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Reaction score
Dirty, but best I can do for now. Lol
Typically it's made to mount inside the frame, but on a regular cab 4x4, there's not enough room between the fuel tank a tcase.
Which also presents the parking brake cable. I think I'm actually missing a hanger, but was able to use a pulley that was already on the truck when I got it.
9994cbbf57a63d567161f03f5bd89e8f.jpg
2ac63c7031491c34659a6594fafc2281.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online