What do you guys think?

Bad_company

Reaction score
the ol lady calls me today as shes pulling into the drive way... she says "you're gonna be pissed... can you hear that?" Whie she was still in the cab i could hear gurggling, hissing,- and what sounded like wet concrete hitting the ground... through the phone. She said coolant temp on my livewire was 205° as she shut it off... we switch to video chat and this is what i see.... so what do you think... oil cooler or head gaskets... 06 6.0 cclb studded and ******d. I bought it 31 days ago with 120k on the odometer.... p.s. sorry for the pic quality... im in virginia and shes in nebraska... screenshot of a video chat...
f44b4149d339639170cb0c32517277c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bad_company

Reaction score
That's what i was thinking... my second guess was black diamond head gaskets... and they may have torn near awater jacket?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I dont think so, especially with how much pressure its looking like its blowing out with.

Cleaning those up is a mother fer. Plan on at least 2-3 gallons of simple green for flushing. Use 1/2 gallon and fill with water, run it at 1500 rpm for about half an hour to an hour. Then flush with water, with removing the block plugs 1 at a time. It wont flush properly with both out. One is behind the starter. Then once its clean, flush it again withthe vc9. And then change all the hoses, thermostat, and degas. There may be oil still trapped in it, and you may have to redo the flushing process again in a month or so. A lot of times oil gets trapped in the heater core and lower than the block plugs and will dislodge.

Bad_company

Reaction score
Awesome!!! I think im gonna have a local shop just do it as it is my only vehicle and i dont have a lift...

bismic

Reaction score
I dont think so, especially with how much pressure its looking like its blowing out with.

Cleaning those up is a mother fer. Plan on at least 2-3 gallons of simple green for flushing. Use 1/2 gallon and fill with water, run it at 1500 rpm for about half an hour to an hour. Then flush with water, with removing the block plugs 1 at a time. It wont flush properly with both out. One is behind the starter. Then once its clean, flush it again withthe vc9. And then change all the hoses, thermostat, and degas. There may be oil still trapped in it, and you may have to redo the flushing process again in a month or so. A lot of times oil gets trapped in the heater core and lower than the block plugs and will dislodge.

So you don't think that flushing the system with VC-9 when you have a leaking oil cooler is a potential problem?

I know that the oil is higher pressure usually (that is why oil flows into the coolant), but there are times when the coolant is higher pressure - especially with a leak in the oil cooler. I would hate to get ANY VC-9 into the oil.

Bad_company

Reaction score
It will all be drained and flushed anyway.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So you don't think that flushing the system with VC-9 when you have a leaking oil cooler is a potential problem?

I know that the oil is higher pressure usually (that is why oil flows into the coolant), but there are times when the coolant is higher pressure - especially with a leak in the oil cooler. I would hate to get ANY VC-9 into the oil.

You have to fix the issue prior to flushing it, otherwise you are trying to piss up a rope. Anything you try to clean will just get oil pushed right into it again. The i dont think so comment was about the head gasket being damaged around a water jacket. The oil drains in the head dont have enough pressure to cause the issue he is having.

Bad_company

Reaction score
Shop already jas new studs gaskets oil cooler (oem because i cant swing a bpd) flushed and coolant fikter will be added the ****** was done prior

Bad_company

Reaction score
So... when the oil cooler lets go and mixes hpo with coolant... wouldnt this be the end result?
813d9ad843e6f8b1dc5585b879370635.jpg

bismic

Reaction score
Unfortunately some people have to have two oil coolers installed after a failure like that.

One so they can flush it and another when it plugs up after flushing it.

Bad_company

Reaction score
What do you mean? Like im gonna have to do the whole process over here soon?

bismic

Reaction score
This -

You have to fix the issue prior to flushing it, otherwise you are trying to piss up a rope. Anything you try to clean will just get oil pushed right into it again. The i dont think so comment was about the head gasket being damaged around a water jacket. The oil drains in the head dont have enough pressure to cause the issue he is having.

As I mentioned, after replacing the oil cooler AND THEN flushing w/ VC-9, some people plug up the new cooler. It is an unfortunate chance you take. Hopefully you won't have to.

Last edited:

Bad_company

Reaction score
Oh boy! Ill have to ask him tomorrow what his process is... i work out of state and have a local shop/buddy doing the work...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Don't flush with VC9 if your not after a rust issue. Use CC2610 with all oil contaminated failures.

bismic

Reaction score
Don't flush with VC9 if your not after a rust issue. Use CC2610 with all oil contaminated failures.

Good advice IMO. CC2610 is Fleetguard "Restore". I would probably use Simple Green first, or a non-sudsing dishwashing detergent, then the "Restore".

VC-9 is Fleetguard "Restore Plus" - just so you don't get them confused.

Last edited:

Bad_company

Reaction score
So... heads went out to the shop today... oil cooler was the culprit. Turbo end shaft has mass amounts of play rockers backed out and head is cracked... man i love my 6.0. Im not sure how it will be flushed yet. Ill keep you updated.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Get yourself some fumuto drain valves too and put them in both sides of the block for easy draining while flushing.

Latest posts

Members online