transmission question

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
My trans is starting to slip under hard accl. I have never been a fan of "buying a name" trans. Because they use the same red devil clutches that any local trans guy can put in for half the price. I'm also not a fan of "break your teeth" shifting. I have never rode in a truck with trans work that didn't make me want to kick a puppy.. I think for 3-5k for a built trans I could do a manual swap.. (Zf5)

If I decided to go this route. I have a few questions

How do you get the reverse lights to come on?
Do you need to swap pcm's?
Will the tcase mate up?
Do you have to change drive shafts ?
How smokey would it be with 160/80 80hp street tune? I'm working on a larger charger now.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Bruh....... The reason you pay for a name is so the trans shifting doesn't make you want to kick puppies. A properly built and tuned trans locking up is a beautiful thing!

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
I had a suncoast in my dodge. Wrecked that.. Got a Goerend hated the shifting .. Started getting converter shutter.. Yes that kind of stuff can happen with any trans but I have a hard time swallowing a 3k trans build knowing what parts they use and what I can get them for.

What trans then would you suggest bts?

I know what it a good converter lock up feels like. My brother has a fti converter in his truck it means business when it locks up

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I would definietly steer clear from Suncoast.

I would do a search here.

Some guys had great luck with BTS but ater reading a few threads here, you will be waiting even if a warranty issue arises. I couldn't get a return call after I left messages with the girls answering the phone.

No complaints with my Punisher trans.

Billy T.
[email protected]

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
I just spent the afternoon reading up on a manual swap.. There is a lot more involved then just the swap and by the time your said and done your almost at the cost of a semi built auto. I know once I put the turbo on its for sure done.

I like my brothers triple fti converter but geez does it shutter if your seady speeds and try to tip it. Then again its a dodge so..lol

old man dave

Reaction score
I would suggest either BTS or John Wood. I have a BTS and a friend has both a BTS and a John Wood.

I have had auto transmissions rebuilt locally before that were supposed to be performance rebuilds but they didn't compare with the BTS nor lasted as long.

4duggan

Reaction score
^^^What he said, I bought one. Just not installed yet.

Going in my 2000 450 dump , did their torque converter and billet input shaft. Build is going to be solid , sticking with Swamps 175/146 , getting 38r and int. up pipes from my sons truck when he does T-4 . Will have Marty's Fuel R/R and Adrenaline and Dynoproven tunage.

Doing a 4x4 conversion and had a core Trans on the shelf so I'm gonna give Dieselsite a try.

I'll start a thread when it get rolling.

If I was you I'd give them a call .

Latest posts

Members online