Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > West Point > The Library > 7.3 Performance

Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Bill,
Thank you very much for sharing your expertise on tuning with us. It's definitely eye-opening and a joy to read and learn. Hopefully, this will put some of the trash and bash threads to rest.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Mod Squad
Member's Gallery

Let's get some posts rolling with some more info and some actual discussion - as of right now there is literally one useful post and a whole lot of watching.

It would be fantastic if other tuners and guys with understanding of how this system works were to pitch in their two cents along the way and get a discussion going.

For instance - I have a little experience with PCMX, a bit more with Minotour, I've looked at the early SCT stuff out at WipeOut, and spent some decent time playing with EFI-Live. So I have a vague ideas on how some of the tables should interact, but like all things that have evolved some of those tables that we thought we knew what did - actually don't do it how we thought it did.

Videos

If its not broke - add power until it is.

RDRCM #45
Old 01-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

I'm waiting to see where this goes and contribute if needed but Bill probably has this all wrapped up already.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodtractor View Post
Let's get some posts rolling with some more info and some actual discussion - as of right now there is literally one useful post and a whole lot of watching.

It would be fantastic if other tuners and guys with understanding of how this system works were to pitch in their two cents along the way and get a discussion going.

For instance - I have a little experience with PCMX, a bit more with Minotour, I've looked at the early SCT stuff out at WipeOut, and spent some decent time playing with EFI-Live. So I have a vague ideas on how some of the tables should interact, but like all things that have evolved some of those tables that we thought we knew what did - actually don't do it how we thought it did.
Jason,

Hang tight just a little longer until I can get all the information I wanted to present posted, and then we can begin picking things apart and getting more in-depth. I just don't want to get into a situation where I am answering questions that may very well be answered in my posts. Just give me another day or so to finish out my thoughts and we can go from there. Cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******** View Post
I'm waiting to see where this goes and contribute if needed but Bill probably has this all wrapped up already.
Matt,

I'd be thrilled to have input from other competent, experienced tuners. However, like I asked Jason, if we can hold any input until I've had a chance to get the rest of the posts up, that would be great. I just don't want to get sidetracked just yet.

Next post to come shortly. Dinner calls!

(678) 890-1110 - www.phptune.com

2001 7.3L - Stage 1's at 399 HP - Just a run-of-the-mill Daily Driver
2004 6.0L - 155cc-Stock - 530HP - Currently torn down for a ludicrous build!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Mod Squad
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Jason,

Hang tight just a little longer until I can get all the information I wanted to present posted, and then we can begin picking things apart and getting more in-depth. I just don't want to get into a situation where I am answering questions that may very well be answered in my posts. Just give me another day or so to finish out my thoughts and we can go from there. Cool?
I'm totally cool with it - that is why I didn't really list any examples that may or may not have taken away from your explanation. Carry on.

Videos

If its not broke - add power until it is.

RDRCM #45
Old 01-31-2012, 12:04 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Now, you're probably wondering, "What's so important about 3D mapping and why do we need now all this?" On the surface, it doesn't seem like it's all that big a deal, but the reality is far from that. One example of the importance of 3D mapping is very apparent in the following images:
Very informative!

And I can second the use of 3d mapping. I used it all the time when I used to tune LS1's and LS2's. I used HPTuners which had what I thought was a very good GUI. Logically accessable tables and the ability to plot 3d maps made tuning fairly straightforward and kept tables smooth. Transitions between different tables for fueling and spark states took a minute to figure out, but in the end a little experience went a long way.

Are there seperate fueling, SOI, etc. tables in the Diesel world like in the gasser world?
Zuk mod, o/w stock
2014 4Runner SR5 Premium
Wife's ride
Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
Very informative!

And I can second the use of 3d mapping. I used it all the time when I used to tune LS1's and LS2's. I used HPTuners which had what I thought was a very good GUI. Logically accessable tables and the ability to plot 3d maps made tuning fairly straightforward and kept tables smooth. Transitions between different tables for fueling and spark states took a minute to figure out, but in the end a little experience went a long way.

Are there seperate fueling, SOI, etc. tables in the Diesel world like in the gasser world?

Yes.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yes.
Short answer, .

I meant different tables for different states for the same parameters. I think you knew what I meant but when I re-read my question this morning it wasn't very clear.
Zuk mod, o/w stock
2014 4Runner SR5 Premium
Wife's ride
Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
Short answer, .

I meant different tables for different states for the same parameters. I think you knew what I meant but when I re-read my question this morning it wasn't very clear.

I was just trying to handle the question so that it didn't sidetrack Bill. He said he wanted to get everything out before getting sidetracked.

If you're referring to separate sets of maps for things like WOT, then yes. There are specific parameters for controlling idle fueling for instance, aside from the actual fuel maps themselves.

If you're talking about trims for things like temp, then yes as well. Although I would wager that compared to gassers, the extent to which extra bs tables exist that aren't needed will be significantly reduced in comparison.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I was just trying to handle the question so that it didn't sidetrack Bill. He said he wanted to get everything out before getting sidetracked.

If you're referring to separate sets of maps for things like WOT, then yes. There are specific parameters for controlling idle fueling for instance, aside from the actual fuel maps themselves.

If you're talking about trims for things like temp, then yes as well. Although I would wager that compared to gassers, the extent to which extra bs tables exist that aren't needed will be significantly reduced in comparison.
No worries, I was curious and got my answer! Thanks!

Looking forward to Bill's next installment!
Zuk mod, o/w stock
2014 4Runner SR5 Premium
Wife's ride