Traction bars

lengelhardt

Reaction score
These are my traction bars that I have built. I don't want to weld to my axel and was wondering how other people have mounted them.
yna8a5y6.jpg

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Is there a reason you went with heim joints at both ends as opposed to a bushing at the frame end?

lengelhardt

Reaction score
I just don't welding to my axle I'll do It but don't want to. I went with the so I can tighten them up under the truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

cccj

Reaction score
Those look like cheap Tractor Supply rod ends. They will rattle the day after you put them on and wear out within months. Spend the money on decent joints, either rubber bushings or quality name brand rod ends.

On another subject, if you understand axle wrap is a rotating motion of the axle tubes causing the leaf springs to form an S, then you realize the only correct way to control it is two points of contact on the axle.

sniper_101

Reaction score
Those look like cheap Tractor Supply rod ends. They will rattle the day after you put them on and wear out within months. Spend the money on decent joints, either rubber bushings or quality name brand rod ends.

On another subject, if you understand axle wrap is a rotating motion of the axle tubes causing the leaf springs to form an S, then you realize the only correct way to control it is two points of contact on the axle.

To be fair; two points will completely eliminate wrap, but traction bars do a good job at removing the vast majority that the leaf allows.

I have to agree with the need for a rubber/poly bushing on one end. I think you'll find it transmitting a lot of harshness through the truck. Something like this from RuffStuff: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/AWCOMP.html and/or Johnny Joints: http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/categories.aspx?id=1493

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Those look like cheap Tractor Supply rod ends. They will rattle the day after you put them on and wear out within months.

The picture looks identical to the traction bars I built for my truck 10 years ago. They are still on the truck today and have never rattled or failed in any manner.
Yes, they are cheap tractor 3rd member bars, but you get what you pay for and I understand that. If I wanted to spend 10x as much I would have bought pre-made ones, but these simply work.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score

Not true, a properly designed single bar can and will do it

lengelhardt

Reaction score
me and my buddy have been running those ends for a traction bars for about 5 years now and they never have been a problem for us its just a matter of getting the location right and getting them set right.

Reaction score

b2™

Reaction score
Thanks Luke, You've been a big help! My buddy used weld on OEM shock brackets for the axle end, would that work with this set up or would you do something better?

Reaction score
Thanks Luke, You've been a big help! My buddy used weld on OEM shock brackets for the axle end, would that work with this set up or would you do something better?

Not nearly wide enough. I have mine made by a local fab shop out of 1/4" plate. Shoot me a PM and I can get you setup with everything you need.

cccj

Reaction score
Not true, a properly designed single bar can and will do it

Only to a point will a single bar continue to be effective; mostly with HD leaf springs. Put some soft leaves in there (that actually flex) and the problem will no longer be masked.

...the only correct way to control it is two points of contact on the axle.

Just saying,

axlewrap.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online