Problem starting when hot!!!

Reaction score
We'll I have had an ongoing problem. When my truck gets to normal operating temperature and I turn it off. Then I go to turn it back on and it doesn't fire right up!! Sounds like it kindof chokes and stumbles and then starts. It has a brand new hpop in it. A t500 which was put in like a couple months ago. What do you guys think it could be??

Sent from my iPhone

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
We'll I have had an ongoing problem. When my truck gets to normal operating temperature and I turn it off. Then I go to turn it back on and it doesn't fire right up!! Sounds like it kindof chokes and stumbles and then starts. It has a brand new hpop in it. A t500 which was put in like a couple months ago. What do you guys think it could be??

Sent from my iPhone
I have never heard of many issues with a t500 but usually that is an indicator that the hpop is bad. does it do it all the time or once in a while? if all the time then when it is up to temp, throw a cbig cup of ice water on the hpop then immediately start it. if it starts then the pump is out of tolerance.

I had similar issues when I ran rotella after about 1500 miles.. what oil you running?

live life full throttle

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone

Im having similiar issues. Glad to see im not the only one. Hopefully we can find a solution.

I also had this problem with my 7.3 and it also had a T500, inj etc. Pulling my trailer turn it off (to grab something to eat) and doesn't fire back up couple cranks later it starts.

It would be random

I don't have that truck anymore though.

Reaction score
I'm running 15w-40 rotella. Do you guys think that could be the problem. I mean it basically just started like a couple months ago. And yes it does it all the time. Which is weird.

Sent from my iPhone

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
try the cup of water thing I mentioned, but I would most definitely try chevron delo 15-40. thats what I run cuz its the only oil that didnt start doing stupid things on hot starts.

live life full throttle

Reaction score
K I will try it. And yes the orings are fine. Fuel bowl is clear. So if my hpop is faulty. Should they have some sort of warranty on this thing. I means heck it's like brand newBb

Sent from my iPhone

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
K I will try it. And yes the orings are fine. Fuel bowl is clear. So if my hpop is faulty. Should they have some sort of warranty on this thing. I means heck it's like brand newBb

Sent from my iPhone
id be surprised if joey wouldn't hook you up. but i would try switching oils first. but you may have an ipr issue to.. what are your hpo, icp, and dc% at hot idle? does icp jump around or stay somewhat steady?

live life full throttle

Reaction score
K I will try. And I don't have the means to check all that. Or else that's what I would have done earlier. Is there any way other then hooking up a scanner to it to check it??

Sent from my iPhone

Strokersace

Reaction score
I'm working on a friend's F550 that's doing the same thing as well. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING has been checked or changed out. Good ICP sensor, good IPR, new fuel filters, clean bowl, new t500 hoop, new melling lpop, new injector orings, new oil and filter. Pressure tested each head individually for leak downs in the hpop system which prompted the new orings. No change is behavior. The only possible thing left it can be is the injectors them selves.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
K I will try. And I don't have the means to check all that. Or else that's what I would have done earlier. Is there any way other then hooking up a scanner to it to check it??

Sent from my iPhone

Without a scanner, you can throw parts at it. Eventually, you will either find the part that fixes it, or empty your wallet. You can get AE for pretty cheap. Or you can take it to a shop and pay to have them check it for you.
Where are you, there may be someone on here with AE that is willing to help you out.

Reaction score
Ya I really don't want to just throw parts at it. I live in American fork, Utah. That would be so awesome if someone could help me out!!

Sent from my iPhone

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'm working on a friend's F550 that's doing the same thing as well. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING has been checked or changed out. Good ICP sensor, good IPR, new fuel filters, clean bowl, new t500 hoop, new melling lpop, new injector orings, new oil and filter. Pressure tested each head individually for leak downs in the hpop system which prompted the new orings. No change is behavior. The only possible thing left it can be is the injectors them selves.

what oil?

live life full throttle

Strokersace

Reaction score
I completely took electronics and pumps out of equation when testing and pressure tested each head individually with a mechanical pump. Heads won't hold pressure. Pulled injectors to check orings and a few were bad so I put new motorcraft ones on it. Helped duty cycle from climbing to set the cel at wot but didn't help the hot hard start. Been working with Dave a swamps a ton with diagnosis.

This oil maybe has 200 miles on it. When she brought the truck to me (with unknown oil in it from before her purchase) it was very thin and dirty. Brand new good oil made no change. I changed oil immediately when I got the truck, then again 200 miles later. 2nd round only has 200 miles on it too. I run this oil in my white truck and even with f'd up Farmers injectors, it still starts immediately.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I completely took electronics and pumps out of equation when testing and pressure tested each head individually with a mechanical pump. Heads won't hold pressure. Pulled injectors to check orings and a few were bad so I put new motorcraft ones on it. Helped duty cycle from climbing to set the cel at wot but didn't help the hot hard start. Been working with Dave a swamps a ton with diagnosis.

This oil maybe has 200 miles on it. When she brought the truck to me (with unknown oil in it from before her purchase) it was very thin and dirty. Brand new good oil made no change. I changed oil immediately when I got the truck, then again 200 miles later. 2nd round only has 200 miles on it too. I run this oil in my white truck and even with f'd up Farmers injectors, it still starts immediately.
I have had similar issues on more then a half dozen 7.3s here in my neck of the woods and delo 15-40 usually fixed it.. but maybe you should try this also
f2557b09444a21fa70d0a456d79c2885.jpg

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online