Anyone running a bigger/different steering system?

Vcmike

Reaction score
My setup is a PMF 4.5" and RuffStuff 1.5" dom tubing y link. The measurements are nearly stock but the tubing is making the difference and it contacts the passenger side spring about halfway turning to the right. Any ideas to correct this? I have the Pro Comp fd400 pitman arm Trevor sells and am thinking of using the bigger drop fd600 but am not sure how it will affect the steering. Is anyone running something similar? Ive attached some pics that hopefully show the problem. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 180

Vcmike

Reaction score
So wasting my money on a 6" drop pitman arm isn't gonna cut it? I just wanna drive my damn truck! Lol

m j

Reaction score
doing the crossover gains you some steering feel, but adds more bumpsteer if you are still using the ridiculously short OEM trac bar

m j

Reaction score
body lift? oh wait no intercooler to mess with.. how was the fan and rad hose realignment?

Vcmike

Reaction score
It has a body lift which I'm not a fan of but it's a hassle to remove. I have the PMF adjustable track bar as well. Everything seems to line up ok? It's a gasser as well, unfortunately.

m j

Reaction score
that trac bar is too short, as it just bolts in to the factory locations, which are too short.
the trac bar should be the same length and angle as the drag link

Greger96obs

Reaction score
I don't know if you found a solution yet? Just an idea i had,i think it would work?To create some space between the spring and the tie rod.Could you add a mini spring pack to your springs to make them thicker? They come in like 2.5" but if you didn't want that much lift you could take some leaves out? Just an idea?....

Vcmike

Reaction score
I haven't yet but I do appreciate all the suggestions. I would switch back to the stock setup for now but my knuckles are reamed for the Chevy ends. I got a few ideas I'm kicking around ill let you guys know how I make out!

NotStock

Reaction score
We talked on the phonne a bit and now seeing your pics, I see what you were referring to a little better. Possibly try a small bend in the lower portion of the upper Y link to add more clearance but not affect length too much. It will make adjustments more difficult though so keep that in mind. I also second a high steer setup with that much lift. These trucks steering system isnt conducive for large lifts. Also, I dont believe the FD600 arm is a 6" drop nor is it designed for the sector shaft size on your truck.

Vcmike

Reaction score
We talked on the phonne a bit and now seeing your pics, I see what you were referring to a little better. Possibly try a small bend in the lower portion of the upper Y link to add more clearance but not affect length too much. It will make adjustments more difficult though so keep that in mind. I also second a high steer setup with that much lift. These trucks steering system isnt conducive for large lifts. Also, I dont believe the FD600 arm is a 6" drop nor is it designed for the sector shaft size on your truck.

It was a little hard to describe my issue over the phone, thanks for the help though! I'd like to add that this issue wasn't caused by the lift if this comes up in anyone's search in the future, it was the steering system I built. I couldn't be happier with the lift pieces from Trevor, that was the smoothest part of my whole build up. Even with 200k miles on my truck everything bolted right on as promised.

Vcmike

Reaction score
Superlift extreme drop pitman arm solved my problems for now. Eventually I will swap over to high steer but I just wanted to drive the damn thing. Steering works well, no dead spots or weird stuff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72

Latest posts

Members online