How worn is my engine

Bugman

Reaction score
Odds are that the engine itself is fine but other components may be on their way out.

I have seen these engines with 500K+ miles on them with no internal problems but injectors, and other things just don't last as long as the engine itself.

golfer

Reaction score
That is a lot of blowby. I'd run a compression test before investing a whole lot in that engine.

Tom S

Reaction score
Got to agree with Dave on that one. Lot so blowby and not running on all 8.

DevC

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I picked up a compression tester, just need to find time, it has about 179,000 miles, I'll report back with test results. And maybe do a cranking test, I have a hunch one cylinder may be low. Power wise it still does what I need it to do though, just trying to assess how long it will hold together.

bluedge8

Reaction score
WHS, that is a ton of blowby, looks like it will start lifting the oil cap off soon. Depending on what you want to do with the truck I would plan a motor swap in the future if your going to keep the truck.

DevC

Reaction score
Yeah, using a bit of oil, leaking a bit too. I do have it running much better then when I bought it a year ago, but still not 100%.

97powerstrokecclb

Reaction score
Jeez I better check mine again cause I think mine had about the same amount of blow by when hot. I have 167k on mine and it runs great.

MOOSE_MACHINE

Reaction score
Do a compression test. I've seen less blowby with low numbers and more blowby with high numbers. The filler cap test only tells you if you have blowby IMHO. Doesn't really tell you much of anything else. You also have a cel when it runs rough. What's the code. What's the fuel pressure when it runs rough.

Nick
2004 NR Commander 21'
5.7 kodiak Hamilton pump
1997 f-350 cclb zf5 160/80, t500, diy bellowed up pipes, 6.0 ic, 38r, diy e-fuel, isspro gauges

Arisley

Reaction score
From the sound of the first video, and the blowby in the second video.

I agree, first step is a compression test. It sounds like you also have a intermittent injector also.

Reaction score
Just a hypothetical question. If you have blow by but good compression numbers does that mean your engine is still worn?

golfer

Reaction score
Then either your compression tester gauge is not calibrated

or whatever your subjective opinion of 'excessive' blow by is significantly different from others

Sent from my DynaTAC

79jasper

Reaction score
Also hypothetical and far fetched. But couldn't a loose glowplug, bad injector washer, valve seat/guide also show high blowby?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online