2011-2015 Turbo discussion thread

sootie

Reaction score
For a DD looking for about 600 at the wheels, never towing, but maximizing fuel efficiency would it better to do a modded '15 swap or a 64.5SXE? Yes, I know it has a lot to do with tuning and driving style. I'm just asking for a general response assuming proper tuning and average driving.

stick with a vgt for sure...

vader6.7

Reaction score
stick with a vgt for sure...

I appreciate your short and concise answer! Part two here..SPE with 360 thrust bearing VS streetmax? A 66mm seems kinda big for my goals but unsure if it'll spool quicker than a normal 66 since it's VGT

sootie

Reaction score
I appreciate your short and concise answer! Part two here..SPE with 360 thrust bearing VS streetmax? A 66mm seems kinda big for my goals but unsure if it'll spool quicker than a normal 66 since it's VGT

i avoid SPE. Midwests' Streetmax X is 66 as well, also with a 360* thrust bearing. Best thing is they have good tuning as well. Spool is not affected as the turbine side is stock.

vader6.7

Reaction score
i avoid SPE. Midwests' Streetmax X is 66 as well, also with a 360* thrust bearing. Best thing is they have good tuning as well. Spool is not affected as the turbine side is stock.

Why avoid SPE? Seems like a good deal since it includes all piping intercooler and turbo with thrust bearings

sootie

Reaction score
Why avoid SPE? Seems like a good deal since it includes all piping intercooler and turbo with thrust bearings

I just dont like the way they do business...I guess you are too new here to remember the chitshow that went down a few years ago with them on here.

Also, I haven't met anyone yet that likes their tuning.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Yea my brother had SPE tunning on his 13 and he switched in less than 30 days to GH tunning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Corys6.0

Reaction score
So from what I gathered here is the 15-16’s have a different turbo and make a bunch more power?

Cr500

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience using a ‘15 up gt37 with gt4094 inards?
If so who did your software to help make it right?
Im considering building one for my truck, but i wonder if its too big for everyday use.
Thanks.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
11-16 trucks can live at 700. i know of at least three 2017 trucks at 740ish and still ticking fine...

Sounds like the motor is good at 700 does that go for the trans as well?

Is it true to stay away from the 11’s something about a valve issue? Anyone have an idea what these trucks weigh.... 4 door shortbed 4x4 Lariat.

sootie

Reaction score
Trans will live a long while at 650+. Mine makes 668 and has been thrashed daily for years now. I have a comp unit sitting on the floor so I've been trying to break it to no avail!

The valve issue on the 11s was isolated to trucks built before April 11 I believe. But yes it is a real thing as my truck had the problem and got a new/used heart as a result
Sounds like the motor is good at 700 does that go for the trans as well?

Is it true to stay away from the 11’s something about a valve issue? Anyone have an idea what these trucks weigh.... 4 door shortbed 4x4 Lariat.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

gotchadollar

Reaction score
I lost my trans at 28,000. but my buddy has had his 2011 with stock trans at that power for 120,000 miles. Shows you the difference in those extra clutch packs I guess.

11KingRanch

Reaction score
Has anyone on here purchased the ‘15 retrofit kit with the modded 66mm streetmax x from Midwest?? If so what all is included in that kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk