crank no start then crank start to die good FICM icp rpm fuel pressure all good

Injected79

Reaction score
Hey guys its been a while since iv been on here but think my hair is turning gray over this truck lol.

Ill try to sum it up the most as possible with out leaving out details.

truck is all stock, FICm replaced 2 years ago 10/03 built date, (icp in valve cover with round HPOP)

This is a customers truck, stated they drove the truck all morning ran just fine, went to pick up feed, loaded the truck up with a few bags, went to leave truck had no power wouldnt pull it selfs, and dies. Gets it towed to the shop the next day, i start with all the normal, FICM voltage 47.5 key on and cranking, we have Ficm Sync during cranking, icp comes right up 1000-1500 psi cranking, fuel pressure right at 55 psi, truck passes injector buzz test on AE Software, but only hear 5 injectors buzz. Watching RPM on AE roughly 160-175 rpm's with jump pack on the truck. Cranking but not starting still, but have smoke out the tail pipe. Also swapped FIcm with a known good just to be positive it wasnt an issue.

batteries are 7 years old and weak, said he wanted them replaced any how, so i installed 2 batteries, now during buzz test i get all 8 buzzing as they should. ( back on Origanl FICM). After new batteries truck turns over and fires, but runs for less then 5 seconds and dies. Swap ECM with know good, just to verify. Same Issue, Replaced with stock ecm.as the night went on i was able to get the truck to run for 10-20 seconds and while watching DATA on AE, the desired ICP kept Climbing til the truck would die. At fire up it would be 600ish mark ( and engien would sound smotth for 1-3 seconds) along with desired in the same range , as the truck would idle, desired rose to 1000-1100 range truck would run rough smoke pretty heavy and die.

I played with IPR changing the % to verify it working properly while watching icp, and it is good, followed by checking the throttle input singal, checked ok, when truck is running fuel pressure stays at 55 psi also, ficm voltage stays 47-48, ficm is showing sync.

Went to the shop this morning, cycled the key, fired right up, died like i turned the key off in under 3-5 seconds.

Im at a loss help is greatly appreciated

Only codes are 2 glow plugs, and 2 egr codes, i have unplugged EGR, EBP, and ICP at different points during all this with no change.

Injected79

Reaction score
just noticed i never reported back on this, sadly it should have been much easier then it was, i looked over it at first\. This was all caused by a stuck EGR valve, pulled valve, cleaned it, reinstalled , ran perfectly, went ahead and installed a new valve, and the truck has been good ever since with the exception of an injector over teh last 12 months.

Latest posts

Members online