no 4x4

Twinboys

Reaction score
2003 excursion
turned switch to 4hi today and nothing. no 4x4, no dash light. I did some research and found half a dozen related fuses that all tested good.
Two things I noticed:
1.) The dash light does not come on like normal when all the others do at start-up. I think they call that "proving out"
2.) I found some info that said to check for voltage at center pin of vacuum solenoid (for the hubs) with 4 hi selected. What I found is that with the key on, there is power to that pin regardless of what is selected on switch (2wheel or 4 wheel)
Any insight would be appreciated, Thanks.

Zmann

Reaction score
power to the ESOF/ PVH solenoid is always present it is the ground that switches to activate the lock / unlock signal

if your 4x4 dash lights do not illuminate that's a starting point

you may have a cluster issue ?

Twinboys

Reaction score
Thanks Zmann. I tested the solenoid by grounding outer wires, and could here valve open and air flow. both worked.
Now I realize that the dash lights do work, not when turning the key on, but momentarily AFTER it actually starts (when I was not looking).
t-case relays tested good.

Twinboys

Reaction score
If it is a bad transfer case motor, would that prevent the 4x4 light from coming on when the switch is in the 4hi position?

edit: found the answer to that one. "The light on the dash will only come on if the rotary switch has rotated to indicate the gears have made a complete shift."

Next I will verify there is power and ground at tc motor. How do I do that? If I switch the dash to 4x4 will power and/or ground stay on until it shifts (and light comes on), or does it only try for a certain amount of time?

Last edited:

dsberman94

Reaction score
power to the ESOF/ PVH solenoid is always present it is the ground that switches to activate the lock / unlock signal

if your 4x4 dash lights do not illuminate that's a starting point

you may have a cluster issue ?

Would he have the 2 relays under the hood for the transfer case? Not sure what years they used them. I had one go bad in my 02 last winter. Simple fix. My transfer case motor was also bad so it got replaced at the same time but it wasn’t the root cause.

Twinboys

Reaction score
Yes, the relays are good. Assuming I checked the correct ones. Two relays by themselves under one plastic cover (only big enough to cover the two relays).

Twinboys

Reaction score
Will an auto enginuity program show the status of the switch? What else would it be useful for relating to this issue?

Twinboys

Reaction score
Appears to be no power and/or ground at transfer case motor when switched to 4x4. (using a test light connected to both wires at 2 wire connector plug when unplugged). I observed it for a minute or so while my helper selected 4x4 on dash.

Also, auto enginuity is not recognizing that 4x4 low is being requested by driver.

Twinboys

Reaction score
If it turns out to be the GEM, will a new one need to be programmed? I am finding lots of conflicting information and no definite answer.

co04cobra

Reaction score
The 03 doesn't really have a GEM. It was basically integrated into the fuse box in 02.

Drop your glove box down and see if you find the 4x4 control module. That's where I would be testing.

Zmann

Reaction score
not sure on your year Ford went to a 4x4 module for the later years

does your PVH solenoid get the ground signal to one side when you select 4x4 ?

that could isolate this to the tcase side or module

Last edited:

Twinboys

Reaction score
pvh solenoid (pulse vacuum hub solenoid - had to look it up), does not get a ground signal on either side when activated.

Module - Multi Function (Gem) - Ford (3C3Z-14B205-AA)
Sale Price:$209.61
Core Charge:$50.00
Is this considered Gem or 4x4 only?

Twinboys

Reaction score

co04cobra

Reaction score
This did it for me, thank you. I tested the connections it showed at the gem, and they were good. Replaced with a new GEM and now it works! if I understand this correctly, Ford calls it a GEM, but it really only controls the 4x4 in this year(s)? Maybe that's why some call it a 4x4 module? It did not need to be programmed.

Where was it located?

Twinboys

Reaction score
Yes, it is behind the glove box. Finding it was never an issue. Thanks for trying to help though...

Latest posts

Members online