6.0 mystery oil leak

MIbowhunter

Reaction score
So I've completely bulletproof the engine in my 2005 6.0, FICM, oil Cooler, Coolant filter, blue spring, egr ******, heads, studded etc. Truck runs great with borderline injectors (working on that soon). I noticed after a long trip north (3 hrs), the next day I have oil under the truck about the size 3" in diameter. truck has 175K miles on it. Seems to leak for a bit then stop and doesn't do it again until driving it a while. All the pressure gauges, and scan gauge read great. I have powerwashed/degreased underneath the engine, wiped with a shop rag, etc to try and locate it. It has barely a drip on the bell housing and starter/lines. Followed it up looks to be a valve cover gasket but when I had the oil cooler changed, mechanic stated it was the oil cooler gasket (cheap Dorman was on there). and he didn't see anything from the top like a valve cover etc. so... not sure if this is just additional run off from when the gasket was leaking or something entirely different. :wtf: Turbo return is new as well. HPOP is good with 3800 PSI (tested). Wondering if it is a rear main seal or??? Also looks like a little from the front just behind the fan like the low pressure pump???? anyone have this or any of you diesel mechanics have any ideas?? thx

bismic

Reaction score
The glow plugs can leak. So can the cam and crank sensors. Could be a gasket leak on the oil cooler. The leaks all end up on the bell housing.

MIbowhunter

Reaction score
glow plugs and harness' are new along with the oil cooler and gasket. I have heard about the sensors as well as the back plate. still looking. Where would the sensors be located?? anybody else have any clues?

sootie

Reaction score
Check the driver's side rocker box oring. If cab-on work was recently done, the mid/lower back bolt could be missing. It's very easy to miss being that you can't see it.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

webb06

Reaction score
Check around hpop cover where it meets the rear cover as well. Should be a dab or silicone there but if not it could leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MIbowhunter

Reaction score
Thx. Not familiar with the rocker box oring can you explain a little more please? I will try to check the HPOP cover not sure if I can get in there. suggestions?

MIbowhunter

Reaction score
i power washed the too valley where the hpop cover is etc. bow it’s spotless. so.. the drip is about a quater in size after some time and i’m thinking its the back of the valve cover . if it is, im getting the injectors done next spring so.. anybody else have ideas?