CCV - Can't take the Smell

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Amazingly mine is vented to atmosphere and that tube has never dripped a drop ever. I can rub a white shirt up against it crawling under the truck and it does not even leave a mark. I wonder if I had a catch can if it would end up with oil in the intake or not.
It took mine a couple weeks for the hose to get saturated, but now it definitely drips. It doesn't pour out, but it runs down the frame and leaves residue. Never had a drop on my driveway though. I would guess that it probably drips goin' down the road. I did at least 2 or 3 minutes of research and decided that a slash cut on the end of my vent hose that was parallel to the ground would work best. My extensive mathematical calculation led me to this approach because I figured the wind rushing past at that angle would give me a little of that venturi effect everyone talks about.

jwlandry

Reaction score
Amazingly mine is vented to atmosphere and that tube has never dripped a drop ever. I can rub a white shirt up against it crawling under the truck and it does not even leave a mark. I wonder if I had a catch can if it would end up with oil in the intake or not.

Mine dont drip but there is definetly an oily residue on the rim of the hose. Plus mine seems like its smoking more that it used to.

What would cause more smoke?

Arisley

Reaction score
It took mine a couple weeks for the hose to get saturated, but now it definitely drips. It doesn't pour out, but it runs down the frame and leaves residue. Never had a drop on my driveway though. I would guess that it probably drips goin' down the road. I did at least 2 or 3 minutes of research and decided that a slash cut on the end of my vent hose that was parallel to the ground would work best. My extensive mathematical calculation led me to this approach because I figured the wind rushing past at that angle would give me a little of that venturi effect everyone talks about.

Sort of like the draft tubes on ald pre-PCV gassers.

TARM

Reaction score
Tom,

How much smoke comes out that CCV hose when you are idling once the motor is warmed up?

Does any smoke at all come out your oil fill tube when @ operating temp?

It could be that you just have a very well sealed motor and have very little blow by at all.

Tom S

Reaction score
Tom,

How much smoke comes out that CCV hose when you are idling once the motor is warmed up?

Does any smoke at all come out your oil fill tube when @ operating temp?

It could be that you just have a very well sealed motor and have very little blow by at all.

Warm weather none. Cold weather is more like water vapor then smoke. You can see blowby out the oil fill tube that looks typical to me of other trucks. I just do not get any oil drips or residue from the hose. I do have it routed over the brake booster for a little gravity assist.

jwlandry

Reaction score
im interested in a good solution other that the atmosphere venting. Something that will catch the oil so that id dont end up in the IC but let the smoke go back in so that I dont get all kinds of dumb a$$ questions about why is it smoking.

Tarm, i know your question was directed at Tom but if i may answer it as well, With the oil cap off, NO smoke at all, but a decent amount comes out the hose. Like enough to see it especially if at a drive thru and im up against the wall of the drive thru.

TARM

Reaction score
I think that may be the reason. But I can see how that will not address your issue of visible smoke being seen with a to air vent.

My suggestion would be to use a DIY built catch can and return back to the intake tube.

One thing I want to test one day which may mean a long time or next week LOL is what kind of crank case pressure is seen when you have a CCV that is piped into the intake tract is the following situation: Turbo stall. When you are at high boost and let off or even at varying degrees. It will take a logger or in cab gauge setup. I have seen air filters and their intake tubes blown clean off the intake of the turbo. That has to take a serious amount of pressure. Plus the day to day off and on boost. What pressure does that cause comparatively. Then wonder about how much stress that places on seals etc or if that can be the cause of oil loss and deposits but without ever finding a active leak. In theory it woudl seem to create HUGE pressure compared to the small couple inchs of H20 you might normally see. Figure even if it was just 5-10 psi for a second or two repetitively through out the day that is equal to 110" - 220" H2O

It may be nothing at all but its got me wondering.

AZStang

Reaction score
I just found this - thanks for bringing my blow by tool thread over Tom.

I too had the catch can pipe filled with scrubber pads and routed back into the intake in the stock location. Still had oil in the intake so I thought it was excessive blow by. That turned out to be fine, so I started measuring crankcase pressure for different CCV configurations. I found these engines are highly susceptible to seemingly minuscule changes in crankcase pressure. Just unhooking the CCV from the catch can and letting it hang below the transfer case cut the pressure in half and the truck ran noticeably better. I recently tried extending the hose to the back bumper and that increased the pressure in the crankcase significantly. I only drove it that way for 30 miles one day and had a leak out the rear main as a result. Put it back to exit just below the transfer case and all is well again. Mine is routed over the brake booster and then back to just below the transfer case. Mine smokes pretty good and I do have some drips in the driveway from it as well, but my blow by readings are well within spec.

Shawn

lowbedriver

Reaction score
Irate is building me a new mount so I had Jake put a 45degree nipple in the downpipe.So i should have results on this in a few weeks

tbolt

Reaction score
The angle will scavenge the gasses out of the cc. Been doing that on drag cars for years. It's not new tech. The normal ccv mod everyone is doing is worse than the stock setup. NO scavenging. Unless your eng is pumping a large amount of blowby, a little oil in the ic won't hurt. How much oil would it take to lessen the effect of the ic? When I do mine it will be a slash cut pipe welded into the down pipe close to the bottom. Just my $.02.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
The angle will scavenge the gasses out of the cc. Been doing that on drag cars for years. It's not new tech. The normal ccv mod everyone is doing is worse than the stock setup. NO scavenging. Unless your eng is pumping a large amount of blowby, a little oil in the ic won't hurt. How much oil would it take to lessen the effect of the ic? When I do mine it will be a slash cut pipe welded into the down pipe close to the bottom. Just my $.02.

How is it worse that the stock setup? trucks and equipment have run the crank case straight to the atmosphere for years. all older otr tractors run them like that. Same with all of the equipment I've been around. Why is it nescasary to suck the vapors out? They seem to evacuate themselves out just fine on their own. And when I got my truck with 70k on it I pulled the intake elbow to drill and tap it there was quite a bit of oil in all of the piping and in the intake manifold. Just curious why its needed to scavange the vapors out?

Marauder

Reaction score
I put mine in the Meow!

I couldn't take the smell either.

IMG_0079.JPG

This is without the CCV hose connected so you get the idea.

lowbedriver

Reaction score

That's why I'm doing it to mine,first did it back in mid 70's with a small block chevy.But I'm putting mine midway between the turbo outlet and where the pipe bends,less turbulence

tbolt

Reaction score
If you goal is HP & higher rpm scavenging the pressure out of the crankcase relieves the pressure from the pistons on the downstroke. At higher rpm the gasses will build and the crank case will become pressurized. Those large pistons are acting like an air compressor building pressure in the crank case. The oem setup scavenges the gasses out. The common ccv mod is useless in my book. I took my boots off and there was a very small amount of oil in it and that was the first time in 148K that they have been removed. Now this is only my opinion and exp with 40+ yrs of building engines. Granted, I don't have that much with these PSD's but the principal is the same. Ya'll do what you want. I'm just offering an opinion.

On the old commercial diesels and equip engines you are not seeing the rpm we see on these modern modded engines. The old ones probably didn't care and you would see no gain from it. 2250 or so was about max on those. My tunes defuel at about 3800, a little more.

I would think an eng with the common ccv mod will have more blowby at the oil fill than a stocker.

Last edited:

tbolt

Reaction score
I couldn't take the smell either.

IMG_0079.JPG

This is without the CCV hose connected so you get the idea.

That's the idea!! But if that cat isn't gutted like mine there may be some pressure in it at high boost levels & rpm. I'm not sure.

Last edited:

mohead1

Reaction score
If ur doing a CCV mod on a 6.4 you need a LARGE catch can....they push alot of air. 3/4 hose and full flow fittings would be the min size. A 1" hose is better and getting closer to what you need to handle the higher flow. A Racor 4500 is the smallest i would use. Check the cubic inch vrs flow rate cap needed for their cans, they have a chart. To not restrict the flow you need a large flowing can.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online