e4od acting finicky

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
ive searched a bit and found a few things similar to my situation, but nothing the same. got in my truck today, started just fine and let it warm up a minute or two, then i put it in drive and it idled down to 300ish like it was gonna stall. blipped the throttle and it sounded like it was gonna stall again, and then the tranny caught and it started driving. happened at the first stop sign too. then it shifted fine until i got back. i put it in reverse and it jumped backwards and stalled like the converter locked up. its been idling down when i come to a stop or put it in reverse for a long time now but ive been neglecting it. has even stalled out i think 3 or 4 times when starting to slow down for a stop. its shifts and the way it acts have never felt right to me, but this is the only auto 7.3 ive ever driven so maybe im just picky about that.

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
oh and its a 4x4 97. im sick of this tranny, if anyone has a 5 or 6 speed you wanna sell let me know. im in western ohio during the week and western PA on the weekends, so closer to that would be best

Last edited:

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
had a chance to check it out today. rookie mistake, it was just low on fluid. whoops. oh well, still got a filter and fluid to change it this coming weekend. hoping that helps the other issues.

rrchlin

Reaction score
well at least you know how to check fluid.. this 7.3 dipstick is the most difficult stick to read ever, IMO.

Just as a note for you or anybody else.. I was testing some stuff out today and unplugged the MAP sensor and drove it around.. truck shifted harder. Then I drove with the ICP sensor unplugged.. and it shifted very hard.

That idling and grabbing hard and stalling stuff sounds like all the junk Chevy's I bought to fix up and never fixed right. Would be damn sad if I really just can't read a trans dipstick. I learned how to patch lines on my E350 ambulance as a kid and never had a problem.. my 7.3 is first auto I've owned that ran and drove since my 1st car.

Latest posts

Members online