Broken Flex-plate or worse??

Swaan

Reaction score
Flex plate. Take tranny out and inspect I'm sure you'll find your problem.
Sounds to tinny to be bottom end.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
you want to look up by the bolts, thats where it cracks. should be relatively easy to see.

njjeep

Reaction score
I looked up near the bolts. I don't see any cracks. I'm going to pull the flex plate tomorrow hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmall99

Reaction score
Pull it out. I bet it looks something like this...

0712121955.jpg

gnxtc2

Reaction score
You need to remove the trans, remove that metal ring that the flexplate bolts go through and remove the flexplate entirely. Examine the flexplate closely and you will find the crack. You probably can take a hammer and knock out the center piece.

This is how mine sounded. Although it's not as bad as yours but it still has that "tinny" sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KMjWlIjpzs

And this is how it looked when I pulled it out.

1347316133103_zps3b0f46a8.jpg

The flexplate on the right is the Precision flexplate.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

njjeep

Reaction score
Check crankshaft end play while you are in there. Can cause a headache in the future if you have a main thrust bearing issue.

This engine was a junk yard drop in when I windowed my block. It's got 200k on it. How do I check end play with the engine in the truck?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Set up a dial indicator on the balancer or flexplate crank flange. Push the crank either forward or back. Zero out the dial. Move the crank in the opposite direction and see how much the crank moved. You might need to use a pry bar to move the crank.

Billy T.
[email protected]

MorganY

Reaction score
Be sure to remove tension from the drive belts as well. I have a piece of flat stock that I bolt down across the crank adapter. That way I can see the dial indicator on the rear and pry at the same time.

njjeep

Reaction score
74edef6dfdf9e13163a95ea1ce7f208a.jpg

Well took me a while to get time to work on it, but the flex-plate was the issue. Motors got a lot of blow by so I may spray it and try to get into the 11's.

Of course now the front caliper locked up from sitting for so long.

jpt

Reaction score
ok i have a problem maybe can help me with. have a 2005 f350 4x4 6.0. originally was told by trans shop trans no good tow haul light on go in limp mode. so replaced trans with junk yard trans. still same. another trans shop told me valve body n/g so junk yard sent me another trans. removed trans again still same problem and trans made loud screaching noise. no good removed trans again. mind you this is all being done on my back on the ground also remove trans harness to look for problems in wiring found minor ones and repaired them my question is all these trans cant be bad except for the last one and maybe the first one wasnt bad at all which started this whole procedure hope someone has some insight for me im new on the site. im 75 years old an an amputee so getting up from and under this truck isnt so easy i have over 50 yrs of experience in this and small engines and heavy equipment rebuild and repair. appreciate any help i can get

sootie

Reaction score
did you replace the transmission cooler? If the first trans failed and filled it with debris, every trans after is getting a fresh dose of that debris and plugging up the solenoids.

TjMiller

Reaction score
You posted this in the 7.3 section not sure if it matters but I know on the e4od/4r100 when the tow/haul/OD lite blinks and remains lit there should be a code stored. Check the code and report back. Maybe converter slip

Latest posts

Members online