Eaton Fuller RT-11509 Questions

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Hello,

So I originally started this project with an International Loadstar 1600, but along the way I picked up a 1948 International KB11. Its a single axle with air brakes and the original gasser motor.

Anyways Im collecting parts to swap into this truck, I already have a DT466 ready to go in, and Ive been looking into heavy duty transmissions. I originally wanted to put a 6spd or 8 spd into this truck but I may have found a 9 speed but no overdrive. The model Im looking at is an Eaton-Fuller RT-11509

From what I have found is its a Roadranger Twin Countershaft, rated at 1100 torque with coarse gearing and obviously a 9 speed.

My goal is to have this truck be my heavy puller, like to haul backhoes, tractors, and stock trailers. I also want to take this truck to shows and drive it around as my weekend rig; be used in town alot. I know gearing is a major factor but I would like to do 75-80 mph for freeway speeds.

Will this trans meet my goals? Whats the drive-ability like? What does course gearing mean? Im assuming its not a syncro so I would have to double clutch always?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Zeb

Reaction score
That trans would be fine behind a DT466.
With no overdrive you would want a 2.64 rear end. That ratio is very common, and you could get the complete housing, etc for quite reasonable from Vanderhaags, or somewhere similar.
Direct gear, 2.64 rear end, Lopro 22.5’s (295/75/22.5) would put you turning 1,800 rpm at 80 mph. That’s actually toward the low side of rpm for a DT466. If you stepped down to a 255/70-22.5 (common on car haulers, step deck trailers, and on California single axle trucks) you’d be turning 1,950 rpm at 80 mph.

Reaction score
All this is cool except for your double clutch comment. My own pet peeve people thinking you have to double clutch. Anyways, will love to see the pics after you get it all installed. Gonna be a cool project.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
All this is cool except for your double clutch comment. My own pet peeve people thinking you have to double clutch. Anyways, will love to see the pics after you get it all installed. Gonna be a cool project.

Understandable for sure, I’ve never driven anything larger then an old f800 and it had a normal 6spd in it drove like a pickup. So going to a 9spd will be a learning curve for sure. Biggest reason I’m looking at this trans is I can pick it up for $300 and it’s coming from a running truck

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
That trans would be fine behind a DT466.
With no overdrive you would want a 2.64 rear end. That ratio is very common, and you could get the complete housing, etc for quite reasonable from Vanderhaags, or somewhere similar.
Direct gear, 2.64 rear end, Lopro 22.5’s (295/75/22.5) would put you turning 1,800 rpm at 80 mph. That’s actually toward the low side of rpm for a DT466. If you stepped down to a 255/70-22.5 (common on car haulers, step deck trailers, and on California single axle trucks) you’d be turning 1,950 rpm at 80 mph.

Hey that’s great! I was thinking about keeping the stock 20” rims (they are 10 lug and no rings) because the truck had brand new rear tires. I do also have a set of 24.5 chrome rims that’ll fit. Maybe I can trade them for some 22.5.

I also want to use the stock rear end but update to a z-beam and airbag setup, but I should be able to regear it

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
So what does "coarse gearing" mean? Its on the spec sheet and thats what the '5' in the model number stands for.

Also heres some pictures

46866605032_e0ac775fd4_z.jpg

46866604302_40ed42392c_z.jpg

gwunter

Reaction score
Restoring the truck it is sitting in now would be an even cooler project! :toast:
I think that's what he is kind of doing, just with the dt transplant and a better transmission in the kb11. I think it'll make for a sweet ride and I'd definitely go for the dt transplant with that body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Ha Yea! the Army Green truck with the white on the fenders is the truck this is all going into. The glittery green flatbed truck (International RDF-190) has the dt466 and Im getting the transmission out of like a 80s something peterbilt.

The RDF-190 had the DT466 swapped into it after it blew its original Cummins and was done by someone else. The barn it was being stored in fell onto it 2 years ago, before I got it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ha Yea! the Army Green truck with the white on the fenders is the truck this is all going into. The glittery green flatbed truck (International RDF-190) has the dt466 and Im getting the transmission out of like a 80s something peterbilt.

The RDF-190 had the DT466 swapped into it after it blew its original Cummins and was done by someone else. The barn it was being stored in fell onto it 2 years ago, before I got it.
Totally need to do a build thread!

live life full throttle

C2tuck

Reaction score

You’ll be able to float the gears with that trans. Use clutch to start out, then use the accelerator to get the “sweat spot” in the RPM’s to shift clutch-less. You’ll love it!

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Totally need to do a build thread!

live life full throttle

I plan on it, but Im mainly collecting parts now. I might pull engines this summer and make sure the 466 is up to the task. But it probably wont be in full swing until this fall or winter. My main plan is to get it running and semi-drivable then do all the other stuff.

The outside paint is going to stay the way it is, except the doors will be touched up where the previous owner decided to grind the paint off of. But the interior I want it to be like a king ranch or similar.

Least thats the plan for now

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
You’ll be able to float the gears with that trans. Use clutch to start out, then use the accelerator to get the “sweat spot” in the RPM’s to shift clutch-less. You’ll love it!

Sweet that will work. Im still a little hesitant that shifting 9 times in town might suck but the trans is so cheap compared to the others im seeing that its hard to pass up.

Reaction score
Depending on how hopped up the 466 is, you might need all 9 gears and can skip some. With our mack with a nine speed I'll skip gears sometimes, usually I'll shift 1-2-4-split-6-8-9 and then the opposite down shifting. You go from a 500 rpm split to 750 but very doable. You also don't have to take off in first especially if unloaded. I've taken off in sixth before, just need a little more gas on take off.

Latest posts

Members online