'02 Powerstroke

Spindrift

Reaction score
Never have had the opportunity to see many 7.3s in action. Never wrenched on one and wouldn't know where to start without some guidance.

With that said, my son is interested in jumping into the diesel game and he'd like me to come with him to take a look at this 2002. It has 190K on the clock. Current owner bought it with 170K. From the pics I've seen, it seems to have been well cared for. Some nice interior and mechanical upgrades; nothing that looked to be a quest for more power.

The list of new parts includes:
IPR O ring kit
HPOP hoses
HPOP Oring kit
Fuel injector Oring kits
Turbo pedestal Oring kit
EBP
Low pressure oil pump
Glow plugs
Front and rear brakes and rotors
Steering stabilizer
Starter and flywheel
Outer axle seal kits
Hydraulic brake booster

Seems crazy to me that someone would want to sell after doing that much work. The guy says he has receipts. Looks like the clear coat is peeling.

Other than the "usual" inspection, I'd like to do a compression test and OA.

Whadya' think? Anything specific that I should be concerned about? Are 7.3s a good purchase? Are KBB pricing guidelines accurate?

Thanks for the help.

psduser1

Reaction score
Might bring a good flashlight and mirror to check the up pipes for soot/leakage. They are a pain to change.
That's not that much work on a 200k truck, really.
Check for blow by with the oil cap trick, but I would probably pay more attention to overall condition vs "engine" condition. These are pretty forgiving engines.

Jomax

Reaction score
I hate the 7.3s for the people selling them think that they are worth gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
There’s a big following for the 7.3 and nice ones bring the money. Anything below 200k in nice shape is in there. Like anything else, there’s always turds out there with proud sellers. If you’re looking a lot you’ll certainly see the difference.

psduser1

Reaction score
14k would definitely be on my high end, especially needing paint work.
Not having looked at the truck, I'd say 10-11k. Gives you some room for repairs, of you need to. Remember, this platform is 25 years old, so it takes some effort at times to keep them doing what you want them to.
Aftermarket support is only so-so, unless you want to go full race mode,lol.
Sorta like a BOAT, if you've ever heard that story.
B just
O it
A nother
T house and

Having said that, its oddly satisfying to smoke a new hot rod in a twenty yr old truck.:lookaround:

dsberman94

Reaction score
Once you learn how the system work you know where to look when you have a problem. Which bring up the next point that they aren’t as easy as the new trucks to diagnose if it has a problem. A computer isn’t going to tell you exactly what to replace to fix it. They take some actual diagnosing to fix. 02 has the weaker rods so you really can’t go crazy on it power wise. That wouldn’t steer me away though. The price is definitely a bit on the high side. I paid 13 for my 02 back in 2013 with 170k on it and it was in good shape at the time. Also crew cab lariat pretty well optioned. I think it has just about every option on it aside from sunroof, power slider and power pedals. The years and winters have done their work on it though.

Spindrift

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for responding. Even though we made an appointment to see the truck tomorrow morning, someone came along and made a full price offer of $14.5K.

Oh well. As I told my son, there are plenty of other trucks to consider.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
Then you know it was worth it. It just takes 2 people to set the value. I only have 130,000 miles on my 02 and I ordered the truck. I would not let mine go for $14,500

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Once you learn how the system work you know where to look when you have a problem. Which bring up the next point that they aren’t as easy as the new trucks to diagnose if it has a problem. A computer isn’t going to tell you exactly what to replace to fix it. They take some actual diagnosing to fix. 02 has the weaker rods so you really can’t go crazy on it power wise. That wouldn’t steer me away though. The price is definitely a bit on the high side. I paid 13 for my 02 back in 2013 with 170k on it and it was in good shape at the time. Also crew cab lariat pretty well optioned. I think it has just about every option on it aside from sunroof, power slider and power pedals. The years and winters have done their work on it though.
Not all 02s have pmr.. some had forged...

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online