6.4 fuel pump in 6.0 hfcm

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
Was wondering if I splice a 6.4 harness in will the 6.4 fuel pump drop in Stock 6.0 pump housing. And if so would there be any gains with the smaller lines from the 6.0 housing vs 6.4. I know i can put the entire 6.4 hfcm in but was trying to go a cheaper route for now. im running 190/stock injectors and won't be upgrade ing nozzles for a while and when I do I'm gonna go diffrent route on fuel.

78f100

Reaction score
Iirc the pumps are the same size but the 6.4 pump even it will fit will not make the pressure you need. Unless you are just using it as a lift pump to another pump. 6.4 only run 3 to 8 psi, you need 65.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Either can work. Guys were completely replacing the 6.0 setup with the 6.7 setup, or put the 6.4 setup in line with the 6.0 one. The 6.4 pump only makes ~15psi though, so you can't use it as a standalone no matter what.

I have a 6.4 pump sitting here I'd sell if you're interested. PM me.

Chatham036

Reaction score
I ran a 6.4 pump inline with my 6.0 factory pump. Holds fuel pressure very well with my 225cc injectors

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
I ran a 6.4 pump inline with my 6.0 factory pump. Holds fuel pressure very well with my 225cc injectors

ill look into this id like to just obtain 1 unit.

Either can work. Guys were completely replacing the 6.0 setup with the 6.7 setup, or put the 6.4 setup in line with the 6.0 one. The 6.4 pump only makes ~15psi though, so you can't use it as a standalone no matter what.

I have a 6.4 pump sitting here I'd sell if you're interested. PM me.

yeah i thought they made more psi but i guess you do not need a lot with a hpfp

You want a 6.7 HFCM

Not a 6.4 one

ill look for a right up see if it is drop in and go or have to run a regulator.

Iirc the pumps are the same size but the 6.4 pump even it will fit will not make the pressure you need. Unless you are just using it as a lift pump to another pump. 6.4 only run 3 to 8 psi, you need 65.
wow thought they made more.

Decker

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back up, I was wondering about this the other day. At wot or quick punch my fuel pressure drops down below 45. I have blue spring and have replaced pump with a new racor pump. But I can't seem to hold pressure I was looking to add a lift pump. I like the idea of having a 6.4 pump for reliability and being able to get new pump anywhere. I got a 6.4 pump and housing to put on but got to thinking about all the connections and made me wonder about putting the 6.4 pump in a 6.0 housing. It be much easier to set up and wouldn't need to change return line. Would the smaller lines hinder the 6.4 pump?

But I was thinking of my options I could go with
6.4 inline with 6.0 - known to work
6.4 pump in 6.0 housing inline with 6.0 pump? Anyone try this?
2x 6.0 pumps inline? Would the fuel pressure be to high?

Mdub707

Reaction score
The 6.4 pump by itself does not make enough pressure. It's only meant as a low pressure pump, because the 6.4 has it's own HPFP. So it sends 10-15psi up to the HPFP and that makes all the big pressure. The idea of the lift pump is to just take strain off of the HPFP. It works much easier/better when it doesn't have to do the suction too. Same concept here with the stock 6.0 pump.

No matter what way you go, pressure is still regulated by the blue spring. It's not the best method, but in theory no matter how much fuel you send up to the heads, it should still have the same max pressure. What you're doing here is increasing the volume of fuel up there, so when you hammer down the pressure doesn't drop.

There are write ups around on hooking the 6.4 pump up through the factory wiring to feed the 6.0 pump. This is the way I planned to do it myself.

sootie

Reaction score
what about just swapping the 6.0 hcfm out for a 6.7 one. Wouldn't that work?

Merc82

Reaction score
^^^ This is the way to go. I have had both setups, a 6.0-6.4 and now the 6.7. Love the 6.7. Did a filter change a few weekends back, much easier and cleaner to do as well.

Decker

Reaction score
I agree the 6.4 pump only used as a lift pump for the 6.0. I don't to replace 6.0 pump with 6.4 because it will not hold pressure. Just curious if putting the 6.4 pump in another secondary 6.0 housing and running it inline with my pump. Would the smaller lines hinder the suction of the 6.4 pump.
Then say what if a sump was introduced to that set up would that work better if suction is hindered?

But I am looking into a 6.7 pump as well just trying to look at different options.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Well the 6.4 HFCM is itself a contained unit. No need to buy another 6.0 housing. Just put the 6.4 HFCM in line with the 6.0 stock setup. A sump wouldn't hurt at all, and no reason you couldn't run that setup.

You can of course just do the 6.7 setup and eliminate the 6.4 setup as well. Totally up to you, either way works. If you already have one of these methods on hand, that's probably the way I'd go because either setup will work.

Decker

Reaction score
I already own a 6.4 pump and housing.
Only reason I was thinking 6.0 housing was for how easy it would be to connect it all. No change in size for connections for different pumps. Also I could still run the the same lines from the tank.
After thinking about it more I feel the 6.0 housing with small lines and the low pressure of the 6.4 pump would starve the original 6.0 pump?

Decker

Reaction score
Oh yeah, iv read that post many of times. He actually has same pos here in one of the threads. I have it screen shot on my phone for reference.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.