Ford factory 215 amp upgrade

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Mitsubishi made a HO alternator for Ford 7.3 applications in a large case 3G platform. I've found them on the 95 E350 HD Clug Wagon on the 7.3 motor. It appears it the 94-95 years E350 7.3 options, however when I do a parts search for the alternator itself https://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/product/3g/ I find a larger variety.

One hiccup I see w/ the current units is the lack of cooling and the use of the small case 6G. From what I can see is aside from a clocking to get the battery terminal in the right position the large case 3G should fit. It is internally regulated and it's a 3 wire plug just like the 6G.

I'm thinking of using this unit as it has the 8 groove pulley combined w/ an external cooling fan :thumbsup:

I"m curious, do we have any members near a salvage yard or a source to verify this? If it works it means a true, factory 215 AMP alternator w/ a standard size pulley AND fan. No more slippage w/ small pulleys and less heat related issues. I'd venture but a few need 300 amp units but a real 215 exciting a low RPM is nothing but win.

My Singer voltage regulator went out and Mike was great about getting a repair done but I'd love a decent HO option that can be easily rebuilt or acquired from any auto part store w/ dead it gets swapped warranty. No emails, no calls, no shipping. Just drive over to auto store, exchange and be on my merry f-in way.

PSA ideas?

powerlifter405

Reaction score
At the moment Mike is offering a large case upgrade that is usable w/ the factory pulley but I am curious if the Mitsu unit would work.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
No one replied, and I don't have the $350+ coin to try it. If my alt was dead, I'd consider giving it a try but even then none of the local stores have it. They all would have to order it in and they all want paid in full.

I'm good for now but fwiw, it appears to be a legit option on paper.

Latest posts

Members online