full motor build , what all can / should I do

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
hey everyone, recently popped my motor and have it disassembled at the machine shop. I'm in the process of making a decision of what to do, its all out or drop a used runner in, no in the middle.

If I were to throw the kitchen sink at her, the things I am considering are;

- colt stage 2 or 3 cam
- o dawgs ported intake mani
- fluidampr balancer
- oil bypass / filter relocate
- fuel bowl ******
- rods ( looking at hypermaxes )
- stiffer valvesprings not sure brand or # rating
- fire ringed block
- possible delipped pistons? pros / cons ?
- mild port / polish on the heads?
- warren billet lpop
- no limit intake
- main stud kit

my question is , is there anything I could be missing? or things that I shouldn't be worried about doing ? advice? etc

thanks.

truck had 700whp , not sure if I want to go bigger but I would rather overbuild it than under.

sootie

Reaction score
Skip the fluidampr and main studs...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

thewrubelator

Reaction score
if your running a stage 2 or 3 cam, you might want to consider fly-cuts, or running a smaller cam if that isn't an option for you. Also keep in mind the more material you take off the piston, the lower comp you'll have. I have .080" reliefs, open bowl and de-lip in mine, and she can be pretty angry in the morning.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
with any stg 2 or bigger you need fly cut pistons, no question about it. i like the set up but would do this in addition/ instead of

river city rods
oem damper
line bore block / bore cylinders
fly cut pistons
at least 120 pound valve springs, elites hit 130-135 usually
delipped/coated pistons
at min 5 angle valve job on the heads
o ring heads , fire ring block not a necessity on these

you should do any intake upgrades possible, also im a fan of head work as it helps these trucks tremendously, its pointless imo to put a cam in the truck and not do any head work

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
with any stg 2 or bigger you need fly cut pistons, no question about it. i like the set up but would do this in addition/ instead of

river city rods
oem damper
line bore block / bore cylinders
fly cut pistons
at least 120 pound valve springs, elites hit 130-135 usually
delipped/coated pistons
at min 5 angle valve job on the heads
o ring heads , fire ring block not a necessity on these

you should do any intake upgrades possible, also im a fan of head work as it helps these trucks tremendously, its pointless imo to put a cam in the truck and not do any head work

why RCD rods over lets say hypermaxes or carillos?

reason why I am leaning to a fire ringed block over an o ringed head , is heads are more interchangeable and likely to break / crack . if you trash a head you wont have to have the rings cut into them . just my .02

its getting a line bore and .010 over

thewrubelator

Reaction score
why RCD rods over lets say hypermaxes or carillos?

reason why I am leaning to a fire ringed block over an o ringed head , is heads are more interchangeable and likely to break / crack . if you trash a head you wont have to have the rings cut into them . just my .02

its getting a line bore and .010 over

Any rod option will be fine, all are roughly same price, and all have proven themselves, some more than others. I have Wagler/R&R in mine. Friend of mine has Hypermaxx, another has Carrillo.

sootie

Reaction score
carrillos have had clearance issues. I would go with Midwest Diesel/R&R personally. Also, lots of trucks doing well with oring heads, and it doesn't cost much to get the groove cut in...i would lean towards that route before fire ringing

Reaction score
With our cam this is not needed and we have made 25hp over stg 2 cam. Our camshaft is more than then competition but saves you on balance time along with machine time...

call the shop and we can get something going for you that works with what you want.

thewrubelator

Reaction score
O-rings are a bit easier to work with, don't have the ass-pain of hot-torquing them, or risking the ring slipping during installation (not likely, but have seen happen).

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
O-rings are a bit easier to work with, don't have the ass-pain of hot-torquing them, or risking the ring slipping during installation (not likely, but have seen happen).

fair enough. what sort of power numbers are you dealing with? and for how long so far? and are you using o rings? whose kit

thewrubelator

Reaction score
My personal truck is not ringed, and I kick myself in the ass for not doing it. We have done them on a few trucks that we've had come through the shop. ranging from stock trucks to 700hp. But, a lot of the higher HP 6.0's out there are ringed, some double and triple o-ringed, and they seem to have great luck with them. As for kits, we have our machine shop do it all, basically they machine a groove, install a piece of piano wire, it protrudes .006 or .007", but significantly raises the clamping force. If you have it apart, just get it done.

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
its getting ringed one way or the other, just not sure if o ring or fire ring. my heads are trash apparently, and Im having a tough time finding a set of good ones up here. I found a set of 04 heads . I know they would be the 18mm dowel where as my motor would have had the 20mm on it . could I get them to work on my engine ? if anyones done that

shmoozer

Reaction score
its getting ringed one way or the other, just not sure if o ring or fire ring. my heads are trash apparently, and Im having a tough time finding a set of good ones up here. I found a set of 04 heads . I know they would be the 18mm dowel where as my motor would have had the 20mm on it . could I get them to work on my engine ? if anyones done that

You can run 18mm heads on a 20mm engine. There is a dowel pin spacer/bushing that gets used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
Everything I've read basically says fire rings are for competition only as they don't hold up well to daily use. I never understood why, but seems to be the rule of thumb. A lot of places extend their stud job warranty if you use O-ring heads though. Probably something I would do myself if I was doing turbo/injectors.

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
a lot of information currently out is in line with that. I have been talking to a number of guys up here and even a big wig with Industrial injection , he essentially said " o rings are for girls , if youre going to do it don't waste your time with an o ring "

I mean that's just an opinion and everyone has them . the truck had 700+ wheel before this and will life around 800 for the next while atleast anyways. I just don't want to have to do the heads again. that's why im looking for other opinions

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.