Just replaced fuel system no start

vettebyrd

Reaction score
Just replacement my 6.4 fuel system went to bleed it with a tamer X kit and no fuel is coming out of the high pressure side of the fuel cooler. If I press the Schrader valve on the bottom fitting fuel will come out. Also with the key in the Run position the fuel pump does not turn off. I’ve cycled the key many times and can hear plenty of noise coming from the hfcm and the tank. Fuel is also at the underhood filter.
Any ideas??

Last edited:

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
If the fuel pump doesn't shutoff, I'd say it either still has air in the line or a pressure sensor is bad. I know when I did mine, I had to bleed for quite awhile from the schraeder valve.

vettebyrd

Reaction score
If the fuel pump doesn't shutoff, I'd say it either still has air in the line or a pressure sensor is bad. I know when I did mine, I had to bleed for quite awhile from the schraeder valve.

Valve in the hpfp? I used a new remanned oem pump so I hope it was good.
The bleeding kit doesn’t say to do anything with the fittings that has the shrader valve-should I have a hose on that instead?
The hfcm is a brand new ford part also.

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
Quite honestly, I just opened that valve with a valve stem remover and let it drain through a clear tube into a container. Once it stopped pushing air out, I pinched the line closed and did my best to keep air from re-entering the valve as I closed it. Like I say, it took several times to get it fully bled.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Lipka101

Reaction score
The hfcm is pretty loud and I can also hear noises coming from the tank. It’s just under half a tank fwiw

Did you drop the tank when you replaced the fuel system? I’ve never had a problem bleeding my fuel system. Just put it together and when I’m ready to start it just cycle the key a few times and it fires up. Which fitting on the fuel cooler are you bleeding from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vettebyrd

Reaction score
I did drop the tank to clean it out. I was using the high pressure fitting/one at the top of the cooler.

Lipka101

Reaction score
I did drop the tank to clean it out. I was using the high pressure fitting/one at the top of the cooler.

Check all connections between tank and hfcm for leaks. Keep in mind if they are leaking they are pulling air i, not leaking fuel out.
There is no pressure difference at either line on the fuel cooler, they are both part of the low pressure system. The fuel cooler is receiving fuel from the returns on the pump and heads/injectors. It’s the last component in line before returning to the tank.

Also check it make sure the lines the hfcm are hooked up properly. If they are switched around you would get some fuel but not enough to bleed all of the air out and work properly. That would be pretty difficult to do after a second look as the lines are different sizes between supply and return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

vettebyrd

Reaction score
Yea the lines to the hfcm are pretty fool proof but I’ll have to double check everything else in the morning.

vettebyrd

Reaction score
Just double checked my lines and both fuel filters. No change. The pump won’t turn off and no fuel comes out of the top fitting though it will once the Schrader valve is pressed.

Highroller54

Reaction score
Blow gun and rag in the filler neck? I've used that trick to prime fuel systems before, also finds leaks. Just dont get carried away lol

sootie

Reaction score
Just double checked my lines and both fuel filters. No change. The pump won’t turn off and no fuel comes out of the top fitting though it will once the Schrader valve is pressed.

is the truck making oil?

sootie

Reaction score
Making oil?
The truck hasn’t started in over a year. Just replaced the whole fuel system and changed the oil.
Ya I get that....let me dumb it down.

If your pump is running and not shutting off, that means it isn't seeing desired pressure. Aka leak. If the new hpfp has a leaking shaft seal, it would be filling the crankcase with fuel

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

vettebyrd

Reaction score
Ya I get that....let me dumb it down.

If your pump is running and not shutting off, that means it isn't seeing desired pressure. Aka leak. If the new hpfp has a leaking shaft seal, it would be filling the crankcase with fuel

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Just checked the dipstick and it doesn’t smell like fuel-it’s actually a little low but no visible leaks.

Latest posts

Members online