New speakers get distorted after awhile.

taterthedog

Reaction score
So in the shop at work, I've got a car stereo in a cabinet to keep us entertained while we pull wrenches. Just bought 4 new Kenwood 6x9s 3ways to replace the old junk speakers we had there. Built some plywood boxes to put them in. They are a little louder and sound a lot nicer than before, but after awhile they get to be a bit distorted. I am trying to figure out why. The stereo is always turned up fairly high because our bays are big. Head unit is a Pioneer powered by a 12v power supply plugged into 120v. The back of the unit gets too hot to touch. Some possibilities I have come up with are:
1- the head unit cannot push these speakers properly and is overheating?
2- the 12v power supply is not providing enough power for this.
Anybody have any ideas? There is also an amp and 2 12" subs on it, but they are powered by a 1500cca Cat battery, if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scparrish

Reaction score
Your asking that head unit to push too much power for too long. They really should run off an appropriate amp.

taterthedog

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too. Going to pick up an amp on days off and try that.

taterthedog

Reaction score
So an update. Picked up an amp for a good price, and installed it. Big difference. System rocks now. Thanks for the help.
c685f3df68217a2201889a9fe4df9cc5.jpg

27287e36decfd3bb5f690db6dc2b953f.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.