If you've had a 6.4 crack pistons please read

Jonnydime

Reaction score
As for 4 engines in less than two years being bad work ect, I think my issue is more because the truck is an F450 with a box. So the truck is heavy 100% of the time unlike a pickup. My truck always weighs 18,000 pounds or more. Most 6.4 dont see this kind of workload 100% of the time. My truck has never been over its limits but is close to them all the time and that is why I see the problem so much more frequent than most..

That's odd my f550 is only rated at 19,500lbs. Aren't f450's rated around 15,000lbs?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
This trucks over loaded/over worked. I would have a hard time saying it's a Ford issue.

You don't use a 250 ft lbs torque wrench and torque to 250ft lbs on a everyday basis.

I've had to tell several people to step up in class of trucks due to their payload.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
His truck still shouldnt be failing like that. If that is what happens to a 6.4 that is worked at all, they are bigger pos than I thought.

He's running a motor that's specd for a certain weight and that weight is being exceeded.

If you sold a load range D tire to a guy who needed Es, and you knew he was running them over loaded, would you warranty them

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Do the maxxforce engines have the same issues? I know on the new f650-750's the 6.7 is detuned to 270hp. I think the maxxforce engines are 250hp.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
They are very tuned down, just like the 365, 444E... Ford tunes these things out to run above spec. IH is conservative cause they know the limits.

TyCorr

Reaction score
He's running a motor that's specd for a certain weight and that weight is being exceeded.

If you sold a load range D tire to a guy who needed Es, and you knew he was running them over loaded, would you warranty them

Whats his truck rated for? What's he at? And many of the failures at 2k miles? Get the ***k outtta here with that crap.

Its not a good comparison to use tires. Or a tq wrench. In your explanation that torque wrench broke after torquing two bolts.

"In my case I see these issues way faster and more often than most because my truck is an F450 box truck that runs around at about 80% of its max capacity at all times. you would never see it this often in a pick up. "

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I guess we're all lucky we didn't die using one ton duallys with service beds, toolboxes, and towed heavy trailers with them. We should have blown them up every six weeks. My 96 is stiiiiiill running around with 400+k miles on it. Second clutch...i hope they changed the spark plugs a few times since 2000.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Back in the 90's and early 2000's diesel trucks didn't make enough power to hurt themselves.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea. And Im talking about a gasser.

Not to mention 300hp isnt exactly "ball of fire" in a 450/550

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Think about this. The 08-10 c&c trucks were rated at 325hp 11-current truck are detuned to 300. The new all ford 650's and 750's are detuned to 270 hp. I think ford is learning.

Last edited:

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
The 6.7's have been detuned in the 550's and not certain but I believe the 450's were using the same tuning as the 550's pre 2015. Detuned compared to the 250/350.

Edit: Beat me to it. I'll add that I also agree that is not wise to run any vehicle at its maximum capacity and expect it to last. I work as a diesel tech for a dealer. A customer with a 350 6.0 was trading in his work truck for a 150 ecoboost. Knowing what the customer hauled regularly (a tri-axle dump box trailer) I advised it would be better to step up to at least a 250. Customer said "well it says here in the brochure it can tow it!" I said yea, it can, but how many times and for how long? A truck is like a tool, if it's something you're going to use everyday why get a tool that is going to be running on edge every time it's used?

As far as I'm concerned however this truck has an underlying issue. Why did it make it 100k on the stock engine and now all the sudden start cracking Pistons?

Last edited:

6.4f350

Reaction score
This trucks over loaded/over worked. I would have a hard time saying it's a Ford issue.

You don't use a 250 ft lbs torque wrench and torque to 250ft lbs on a everyday basis.

I've had to tell several people to step up in class of trucks due to their payload.

Doesn't make any sense as to why the first motor lasted 102k miles and now all of a sudden it's going through them like candy. Something else has to be going on that hasn't yet been diagnosed. It's going to take someone that really wants to find what's wrong, rather than just wanting to fix it and send you down the road.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned however this truck has an underlying issue. Why did it make it 100k on the stock engine and now all the sudden start cracking Pistons?

Well, it reads like the fuel system has been pieced out a few times, so maybe we can rule that out. I doubt there is a intercooler issue, intake manifold really can't affect much and I'd assume it was cleaned out each time.

We believe in the CYA method to the max. Anytime we have doubts of an injector, we slap it on the bench and get it tested.

If OP has 2 of these engines with just cracked pistons, why doesn't he just slap a piston in and roll with it? Did the bottom ends get washed out?

I would of love to see the ECT/EOT, and EGT of these motors that cracked pistons.

I do hate the fact Ford is claiming stuck injector, when 99% of the time that happens, the cylinder is melted down, not just cracked. But any warranty with 6.4 starts with fuel sampling. If it doesn't make it passed that, then there's no hope.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Doesn't make any sense as to why the first motor lasted 102k miles and now all of a sudden it's going through them like candy. Something else has to be going on that hasn't yet been diagnosed. It's going to take someone that really wants to find what's wrong, rather than just wanting to fix it and send you down the road.

Yea but everything has been changed multiple times over, the constant is the truck and load.

I'll be the first to admit Ford remand motors are not any better than the other garbage reman companies out there. Hell, I just had to warranty out a reman with 69 miles since it snapped a Rocker arm.... I've also had 2 other black motors spit rods(this seems to be most common across the 3 reman companies).

I do agree that there needs to be data posted when/if a new motor is installed, ECT EOT and EGT. That's going to be the only way to figure out if these motors are being pushed beyond their threshold.

Could also send some pistons in and get them x rayed. That might help the OPs case.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
I agree on the Ford reman quality as of late, it's pretty piss poor. As far as I know Cat is doing a lot of the engines. Have a friend who was a Ford tech gone international tech and they have the same problems with reman quality.

But 4 engines? Something else is causing it. First picture looks like the valves were hitting..

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea but everything has been changed multiple times over, the constant is the truck and load.

I'll be the first to admit Ford remand motors are not any better than the other garbage reman companies out there. Hell, I just had to warranty out a reman with 69 miles since it snapped a Rocker arm.... I've also had 2 other black motors spit rods(this seems to be most common across the 3 reman companies).

I do agree that there needs to be data posted when/if a new motor is installed, ECT EOT and EGT. That's going to be the only way to figure out if these motors are being pushed beyond their threshold.

Could also send some pistons in and get them x rayed. That might help the OPs case.

Except the same truck and same load went 102k before. After the first el pop-o its been a constant anywhere from 2-14k miles. Overloaded by 5k lbs it should last 2k miles. 14k even is arguable. According to the op he runs at 80% of the rated max.

Layson

Reaction score
Everyone that I personally know that has a 6.4 has had major work done. The 6.0 and 6.4 are cash cows to these shops.

You should see the company auctions for these trucks. None of the 6.4 or 6.0 trucks are actually running....LOL

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Ran my 6.4 stock motor to 249k, stock fuel, ******d, 35's, dump trailer loaded over 14k, car trailer, HEAVY right foot, lots of green light to red light fun with others even with trailer, never skipped a beat. That was two years ago, a buddy just saw it this last weekend, looks like the last two owners haven't changed anything not even the tires as they are almost bald, and word is that he drives is just like how I did, hard and fast.

Sorry to hear about all your faults, hope you figure it out as I loved my 6.4 it was a rocket! Still regret selling it, especially knowing it's still taking abuse.

Members online

No members online now.