gtx4294r vs s467.7 vs 369sx-e stats and experience needed

sideswipe

Reaction score
i have been doing alot of searching and reading on this forum and was wondering about these turbo's abilities. I have a set of 250/200 full force injectors i tow a 8k fifth wheel trailer and a 4 place snowmobile trailer dont drive much maybe 10k a year or less.
Out of these turbos
also is it called the mapping area of each turbo
I asked the question comparing my 38r vs kc38r on the org.
on each turbo i would have a wastegate to not ruin the turbo or the motor i'm
not into drag racing or hot roding a lot. I do put my foot into once in a great
while. Who has had failures on these turbos and why did they fail. I have read 100s of pages of your guys input on your turbos but i cant seem to find numbers stats on each one. the person says they are getting the turbo but never come back to say how the turbo runs, some have but a lot don't. I found that the 38r has a very good reputation now i want who can equal that. Hell on my extreme tunes i don't throw a cloud of black smoke at all.
I know its on its top end a the mapping for the turbo. when i do get one of these turbos i will return to tell you the stats on that turbo. I have the auto enginuity to find out what they are. I will be getting one of these turbos later this year. I have been sitting here for an hour now trying to get this right thinking of all my questions so as not to miss anything. i would probably wastegate them to 40lbs.
If i have missed something or used the incorrect wording please feel free to add to this.
How many miles have you put on the turbo
what has best durabillity for longevity
back pressure charcteristics
cfm differences
egt control
likes and dislikes about each turbo
which one spools the soonest
lets say they have these housings
gtx4294r has 1.0 housing
s467.7 has .91 housing
369sxe has .91 housing

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I have a 467.7 with a 1.10 housing and 250/100 injectors. I think it's going to be hard to find guys who have had direct experience with 2 or more of these turbos with that injector.

The 467 and 369 will be different due to the turbine wheels. There was a lot of hype when the 369 first came out, but the turbo builder I talked to said he would rather stick with the 467 for durability reasons.

FWIW I really want to get my injectors bumped up to a 200% nozzle and drop my turbine housing down to a 1.0.

Here are a couple threads I started that may help with your research.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61361

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40301

sideswipe

Reaction score
I thought of another question, what is the back pressure per each pound of boost pressure?
just was wondering the turbo not the injector specifications just something close to what i
have. so would the 1.0 housing work better for back pressure? So what housing works best
with each turbo for back pressure and spool up. The reason i asked this is when does the
back pressure exceed the boost pressure taking the turbo out of its mapping for its best
performance range. never seen that question asked on these turbos. looked at your pages
and the 467.7 or so called 468 is very interesting but still missing these questions. Some
one has to have some answers to these questions.

Last edited:

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
The exhaust side on the Garrett charger is a little small in my opinion for our motors. I am personally running a custom Garrett gtx4202 on my setup and love it. I have had several experiences with the s468. I have a buddy that runs 250/200s with his and it spools almost like stock in my opinion. Makes around 45 to 50 psi and cleans the injectors up nice. My brother ran a s468 with 300/200 and nitrous. He beat on that charger every time he drove the truck and never had a problem with it. For the money and reliability I would go with the s468

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Not to derail, but I've yet to run my 468 yet and I have a chance at a s482. Think a 468 would do alright in the secondary position of a compound setup, spooling wise with 300/200's? Mine has a 1.10 ex housing I believe...

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
My dream compound setup would be a s468 to a 92mm. I feel like it would spool great and make awesome power with some 400/400

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
Another great example is Matt maier. He is running 300/200 and a s468. He has literally tried his best to tear this turbo up and it continues to perform. He tows with this setup and it has also made 1200 hp with a lot of nitrous

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
The exhaust side on the Garrett charger is a little small in my opinion for our motors. I am personally running a custom Garrett gtx4202 on my setup and love it. I have had several experiences with the s468. I have a buddy that runs 250/200s with his and it spools almost like stock in my opinion. Makes around 45 to 50 psi and cleans the injectors up nice. My brother ran a s468 with 300/200 and nitrous. He beat on that charger every time he drove the truck and never had a problem with it. For the money and reliability I would go with the s468

Would you mind sharing some more info on your 4202? Pm is fine.

emev0l

Reaction score
All 3 turbos are great turbos, the GTX4294r is supposed to spool a little faster and outflow the s468, but at twice the price.

I beat on my truck like I caught it ***ing my girlfriend when I had 238/200's and an s468, the turbo took it like a champ.

I pulled the turbo apart to swap in a 360 thrust and everything looked brand new.

You may have durability issues with an s369, but it sounds like you're not going to beat on it to much so you'll probably be fine, and for $950 for an s369 that's hard to say no to.

The GTX4294r, twice the price as a s468 and 3 times the price as a s369, you could use that money in other places, fuel system, transmission.

You really don't ever hear anyone say anything bad about an s468, they're a great turbo at a great price and have been proven over and over again.

sideswipe

Reaction score
When i retire i will do a lot of towing so if thats not hard on a turbo
running high temps for hours at a time. Thats why i'm leaning
towards a s468. I haven't heard anyone beating the **** out of
the other turbos. As the saying goes you get what you pay for.
Also when i buy this turbo i wont have to worry about it leaving
me stranded. When i retire this will be my DD for sure. I wont
be driving nothing but my truck enjoying till the day i die.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Emev01 brings up some really good points. And he has used an s468 so thats invaluable.

But there is something about a bb turbo that is hard to beat. Seem to spool so much easier.

sideswipe

Reaction score
How's this lets compare turbos with a auto enginuity
to look at there stats. Such as back pressure for one
of the many things it checks. With all the 369sxe out
There why has no one chimed in with there findings.

joe d

Reaction score
Im looking into the s369 ive heard its a great turbo its that or a 468. I just really dont wanna lose my fast spool up. So thats why i haven't bought one yet..

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well, since nobody has said anything the 369 might be small for the 200% nozzles unless you have it live tuned for that turbo. The 468 has been done numerous times and will probably have great tuning right off the bat.

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
The ball bearing turbos will always spool faster but something about the s468 spools very fast for just journal bearing. Matt tows with his all the time and likes the way it tows. My buddy's truck with 250/200 and s468 drives so close to stock you don't even notice

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that for anyone wanting to use the S468 in the higher HP "500+" on stock rods, that turbo will increase the cylinder pressure in lower RPMs and will be above what the forge rods can handle. Several threads about that.