Non studded tune? what mods on stock truck?

rekt

Reaction score
New to powerstrokes and diesels in general, just bought a completely stock un abused and unmodified 2006 F250 king ranch. I was looking into getting a tune for it, it already has the 1805 flashpaq i have it set to economy tune but i dont think this tuner tunes the transmission. I wanted a tune with early lock up and more firmer shifts with a more aggressive tune. All i tow is a jetski and im not a savage on the throttle.

I already bought a 4" turbo back from diamond eye, and an EGR d3l3t3 kit.

I can fabricate my own intake with some aluminum pipe and with a cone filter. I keep hearing the stock box with the zoodad mod is enough, is this true?

patricku47

Reaction score
Gear Head on an sct all the way for tuning. Good, relatively smoke free power. Do yourself a favor and get an Edge monitor as well.

rekt

Reaction score
Gear Head on an sct all the way for tuning. Good, relatively smoke free power. Do yourself a favor and get an Edge monitor as well.

Ive been lurking alot on here and seem to keep hearing nothing but good about GH tunes, IDP and TSD. I like the smoke free part of the GH tunes.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Stock donaldson filter with zoodad really is good for anything you could do with a stock turbo.

First step, put a coolant filter on it. Like yesterday. Change the filter like every other week for 3-4 filters . Then your good. (Assuming oil cooler is still good)

Jus stay up on maintenance, run ford filters, run a good fuel additave regularly, and dont beat the hell out of it you should be golden.

Oh and no edge chips. Sct canned tunes are even pretty decent

sootie

Reaction score
no limit intake, sct tuner with GH SRL Tune and a coolant filter. run 3500 mile oil change interval and make sure you use a motorcraft filter and cap.

zoodad mod sounds like something you heard on the .morg...no value whatsoever.

slc6oh

Reaction score
I mean by all means no limit is the ****, and thats what i run. But meh. On a stock charger tho i dont much buy into needing an intake. Just me tho

rekt

Reaction score
Also which tuner to buy sct x3 or x4? I got a good deal on an x3 but is there any benefit to the x4 over x3?

Thanks again guys i am ordering the blue spring tonight!

sootie

Reaction score
Also which tuner to buy sct x3 or x4? I got a good deal on an x3 but is there any benefit to the x4 over x3?

Thanks again guys i am ordering the blue spring tonight!

you dont want to use either device to monitor so go with the cheaper one.

ultrasks700

Reaction score
SCT tuner. You'll notice a surprising difference even with the 65HP canned tow tune. CTS is also a must. However the second you plug that tuner in I highly recommend starting a Head gasket savings account...

slc6oh

Reaction score
x2 on start saving for hg job.... not to scare ya by any means, some have good luck on stock bolts and a tune.

I didn't.

ultrasks700

Reaction score
I ran non-studded for a little over a year with a tuner without issue and it wasn't until I took a 4 hour trip and popped the hood and noticed the dreaded 'white residue' around the degas bottle. That's when I knew trouble had started. When I did get my HG's changed I had a spot about as wide as a dime where it has started to leak. Just be careful

slowcoupe

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and grab yourself an SCT Livewire TS. Has the programming function of a x-3 but also has a monitoring system like and edge CTS. Great for check engine lights and diagnosing other problems. Main things to watch on your 6.0 are EOT/ECT, EGT's (of course), FICM voltage, boost and trans temps.

I am currently running WPE's white rain on stock bolts. Have had it for a while now 0 problems.

i have in the past run GH and IDP tunes as well.

rekt

Reaction score
Well guys thanks for all the information, i went ahead and got an sct x4. I have money saved already for a HG job, cause i knew getting into one of these trucks i would need to have that as a back up. I just havent had a reason to have the truck out of commission this summer. I plan to do it with a buddy being that unfortunately miami and reputable shop is two things that dont go hand in hand. So more than likely i will get to it in the winter. Thanks again everyone!

ultrasks700

Reaction score
Well guys thanks for all the information, i went ahead and got an sct x4. I have money saved already for a HG job, cause i knew getting into one of these trucks i would need to have that as a back up. I just havent had a reason to have the truck out of commission this summer. I plan to do it with a buddy being that unfortunately miami and reputable shop is two things that dont go hand in hand. So more than likely i will get to it in the winter. Thanks again everyone!

The X4 is a good tuner and youll notice a great improvement even with the tow tunes, the street works well too and isn't to ridiculous. The x4 will act as a monitor too but I think the Edge is much cleaner

rekt

Reaction score
Just got the SCT x4 street tune loaded up NIGHT AND DAY difference. Drives awesome transmission shifts firm and i love how the converter locks at 45. Does anyone know if 4k RPM limit is too much for non studs with the SCT "street" tune? also can i get away with the performance canned tune?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online