DEF Usage

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
My "500 mile to empty" light just came on for the DEF in my truck today. I filled it up at 5500, 13K, 20K and now at 23K it thinks it needs it again. I did not do any towing in the last 3K miles so what causes it to use it so fast? I drive 50 miles a day all highway too and do not let it idle. I was stuck in traffic the other day for about an hour, would that cause it to use so much?

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I do all city driving during the week then highway on most weekends so I attest my usage to that.I just add the 2.5 gallon container from Ford and keep going.

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
I usually fill up at a truck stop so I know it's full. It usually takes about 4.6 gallons when Im at about 200 miles to empty. My 500 mte light has gone away now?! So Im not sure why it came on.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Hard to say, i have seen the sensors kinda act up at times. You shouldnt be using that much one tank is designed to last about what an oil change takes.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
All depends on what the nox sensor is reading and fuel quality. Dpf regeneration causes a higher usage as well. Idling long periods then the regen later that goes with it. Ect ect ect. There's not really a magic number for how long the urea should last. Many variables.

Lugger007

Reaction score
I tend to go about 1k mile per 1 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online