499.1rwhp on Stock Injectors at Thoroughbred Diesels "Judgement Day" Dyno Event

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I'm glad you talked to Arthur. He can get you a for sure uncorrected number that you can carve in stone if you want.

And if you need to refine some tables and hold the truck in a certain range long enough to see what you're doing without being on the street, then Bill's mustang is an excellent place to be for that.[/QUOTE]

Looks like I will have to call Arthur, and see about getting my truck dyno'ed befor I leave Altanta. I don't have any dynos near me to do any, but I do have a race track 1/4 mile, to do some track times.

Super Diesel

Reaction score
Called and talked to Arthur and talked to Charles, both are great guys. I'm looking forward to meeting up with Arthur at some point and putting the truck on his DynoJet and giving it a whirl. I still completely trust Bill at PHP, and will always take my truck to him for new mods and tunes.

Dyno'ing a truck with 35s and 3.73 gears, then switching it over to 30s and 4.10 gears - WILL show an increase in power, but the truck didn't get any stronger... it's just lost some of it's "wasted power". Makes total sense to me now, and I'm sorry to Charles for arguing the wrong point.

The dyno jet or any inertial machine will read the same, no matter where you are, and no matter what vehicle you're putting on it. My fault for clumping the dyno jet and the mustang dynos into the same category. I didn't understand that the Dyno Jets require ZERO calibration, while the mustang dyno's require some (such as gear ratio) to calculate engine RPM, to get torque, to calculate power, etc....

Looking forward to possibly meeting up with Charles in the future to gain some insight into diesel performance. Especially with some of our 7.3 members. I know that we could benefit from Charlie's knowledge if he'd be so kind as to teach us a few things. :)

Anywho.... a slight derail to the point of this thread. Haha!

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Good deal glad y'all talked it out! From my short few years around the forums I gotta say Charles has never really steered anyone wrong from what i have seen, maybe pissed some people off but always been a very straight shooter.... And he knows 1-2 things about a 7.3 as well

Super Diesel

Reaction score
Good deal glad y'all talked it out! From my short few years around the forums I gotta say Charles has never really steered anyone wrong from what i have seen, maybe pissed some people off but always been a very straight shooter.... And he knows 1-2 things about a 7.3 as well

Yeah, it was just a miscommunication deal - like always. I wasn't following what he was saying at all, it just wasn't computing - and I was arguing the wrong points from what I was trying to say. Ah well, that's the great thing about being a man - I just suck it up, talk about it, and move on. Hell - I may even make a new friend or two outta this.

By the way, I probably won't make it to the track event that you mentioned earlier. God, entirely too much crap going on here lately....

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
I don't have any plans to run my truck at the track until I get a built transmission... however, are you suggesting that my truck could be faster than the predicted time/speed for a truck making 500rwhp and weighing as much as mine? Because taking your truck at 7100lbs and inputting it into the HP calculator with your trap speed of 100 mph yields 482rwhp. Who's dyno were you using that read 430rwhp?

I've come to the conclusion that all of these references (ie. Dyno Numbers, Track Times, Track Speeds, etc) are just that - they're references. Tools used to derive how much power our trucks are putting down. I've often found that dynoing will give you one number, track times suggest another, and track speeds suggest an entirely different number. There are entirely too many variables to all of the equations...

I personally believe that dynoing a vehicle scratches out the most variables for change. And I believe in using the same dyno, with the same calibrations, with the same operator, under the same (if not similar) circumstances (ie. weather), etc.

Again, that's just my opinion.

track times are as real as it gets, i dont make runs and put them into a calculator and get excited. the problem with most dynos is they cant load a powerful diesel correctly and the numbers are only as good as how they are calibrated.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
super diesel, your runs on that dyno really dont mean squat consdering you let the truck downshift and stayed in it into and threw the next gear.

Super Diesel

Reaction score
track times are as real as it gets, i dont make runs and put them into a calculator and get excited. the problem with most dynos is they cant load a powerful diesel correctly and the numbers are only as good as how they are calibrated.

I understand, that's why I trust Bill with his dyno. He has years of experience with these trucks and his dyno has been backed by track times on several occasions.

super diesel, your runs on that dyno really dont mean squat consdering you let the truck downshift and stayed in it into and threw the next gear.

Believe me, I thought (and still partially) feel the same way. I talked with the thoroughbred diesel crew about the dyno run and they assure me that my numbers are accurate. Regardless, I'll be going back to PHP to either back up these numbers - or get new ones.

Latest posts

Members online