5r110 modded direct clutch solenoid

07pstd

Reaction score
Had my Trans built two years ago and Trans guy thinking my direct clutch went out. Was having the 3-5 flare and just lost reverse. My question is, should I put this solenoid in or is it more of a tuning issue? The 3-5 flare was very minimal, truck pretty much went all in one day. Truck is 07 f350 with innovative tunes.

Reaction score
Was all trans taps reset on rebuild ?

If not reflash file and see how it acts.

If no change then I would do the direct solenoid ( only as a cheaper alt then rebuilding trans.) We do not like building transmissions then just running them because the adaptive strat learns characteristics like wear on clutches... with that being said when trans is new the clutches engage maybe .04ms sooner or .02 " I do not know the actual ms count " but ... clutch bind up in 3-5 becomes more apparent over time because of clutch glazing.

07pstd

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the Trans taps to be honest. I know the guy tested all solenoids and they tested good on the electrical side. The fluid is bright red like the day it was put in. I just didn't know, if this solenoid is something that would help prevent this issue for the next time. Or if I just had something fluke happen which is just my luck. Tranny just short of 20,000 since it was rebuilt.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Direct and reverse uses the same clutch pack. If you have issues with the 3-5 shift and lost reverse....then the trans is toast and needs to be rebuilt. A modded direct drive solenoid isn't gonna fix that!

strokin6L

Reaction score
Was all trans taps reset on rebuild ?

If not reflash file and see how it acts.

If no change then I would do the direct solenoid ( only as a cheaper alt then rebuilding trans.) We do not like building transmissions then just running them because the adaptive strat learns characteristics like wear on clutches... with that being said when trans is new the clutches engage maybe .04ms sooner or .02 " I do not know the actual ms count " but ... clutch bind up in 3-5 becomes more apparent over time because of clutch glazing.

Most tuners remove the adaptive learning strategy when writing custom tunes. I know my tunes don't have any adaptive learning strategy.

07pstd

Reaction score
Yes I agree with u on that. I just wasn't sure if it's something I put in once it's fixed for helping Trans for the future. I won't know what's actually wrong till atleast next week due to holiday. All I know is pan is off it and tested solenoids. But said it's internal, thinks the direct drive clutch is toast.

07pstd

Reaction score
Yes unfortunately. I just reading a lot about these modded solenoids, and guess my only question was. Should I put this in to help upgrade it, or it really not that much difference, and just save my money.

07pstd

Reaction score
Ya I know. Just thought of putting it in once it's fixed is all. Do you have a website or just call to order?

strokin6L

Reaction score
Steve....are most modded DD solenoids the same? I've ran the modded DD from sun coast and am currently running the Gogo modded DD solenoid from Doug. Is yours any different from those two? You can pm me if you'd like! Thanks!

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Yes Sir, they are. Actually, there are only two solenoids on the market. Anything private labeled by vendors comes from one of two shops.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I've had several customers who have switched over to mine who noticed a gain, but I believe the gains noticed were more or less because the original solenoid was worn or failing. Theoretically you really shouldn't see a difference all things equal but again, the unknown can play a role in those results.

Latest posts

Members online