California owners with modded motors, smog question

OBS73

Reaction score
Well, my truck is getting studded w/ new OEM gaskets and bulletproof EGR cooler/oil cooler this week. Once that's done I am wanting to start looking into larger injectors and turbo. Not too much bigger, was looking at maybe a set of 175/30s and a stage 2 turbo. As of right now my current mods are basic, 4" turbo back (catless, but flanged to throw the cat back in for smog), intake, blue spring update, and SCT x4 with canned tunes (ordered Gearhead tunes for after studs).

I am just worried about the whole smog aspect. Will I have problems with this setup with the whole, throttle snap/smoke test? My buddy works at a smog shop and says that the newer computers they are using now picks up not only PCM codes but can read if there is a tune on the truck as well,I don't know how true that is but he's a trusted friend so I wouldn't think he'd say that if it didn't.

Would I have a problem with this setup if I returned the truck back to stock before I have to smog it?

Thanks for any input.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
Are you not allowed runnin a tuner/tune when it is smog checked? Guys from California will chime in on this hopefully, but it used to be ok. Seen a few threads on guys asking what the best tune would be if they had to get checked.

OBS73

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the SCTx4 was pulled or never made it to the California smog safe list. From what he was telling me the new OBD2 scanner they have will read of EGRs are shut off or if certain parameters don't meet what the program says it should be it will fail the truck as well. Even when the PO had a California recognized Edge Evolution on it when he was smogging it before I bought it he had to set the truck to stock (he had it on Economy) and drive it around for it all to reset because his local smog shop told him there was something not passing. Like I said, I don't know how much fact is there, but I don't want to kick down a large amount of coin and have my truck fail.

Last edited:

Twan

Reaction score
I have a set up like your wanting, I can say my set up on stock PCM and stock FICM tune is very clean. I think clearer than stock even. I live at 5000' and it won't smoke on stock or a good tow tune.

I'm running holders injectors, 175/30%

OBS73

Reaction score
Twan, thanks for the reply. Any way you could send me a video of the truck, with a couple stomps on the pedal from idle? I talked to my buddy again today and he said they just get in the truck and smash the pedal down to see if it smokes. He also said a little smoke is fine, as long as it disapates about 15' from the truck and doesn't leave a huge black cloud floating through the air. PM me and I will PM you my number if that's OK with you.

rray37375

Reaction score
Seeing all of the crap you Golden State guys have to put up with, I am SO glad that I moved from California after my two year assignment to March Air Force Base, the only things I took with me were my household goods and my new wife. That was 25 years ago, never went back.

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
Just smogged mine recently. I have custom sct x3 tunes With egr off and that was not an issue. Where they get you is the visual. The first time I went in I was running a race tune and failed the snap/ smoke test. I changed it to a tow tune and passed no problem. They also check for mods, however most smog techs don 't know their hesd from their ass. If you take it to a shop that mostly does cars they wont know what to look for regarding underhood mods.

Latest posts

Members online