02 front wheel seals

deangarth

Reaction score
so I was changing my brakes on my front axle yesterday and noticed my dust seals behind my hub and u joints are bad, but then on my driver's side I noticed the the dust seals was wet with lil oil. so looks like my inner oil seals are bad. talked to my local for garage on an estimate to fix it, $1000 I was quoted. said the seals and oil are bout $250 the 8 hrs ish of labor... so I was wondering if any one had done these 6 seals? anything special I need tool wise. I know I hafta take the front diff apart, do I need a new gasket for the front diff? someone said I need a special tool to put the seals back in... I know it will be time consuming, but right now I don't think I can foot $800 in labor when I can do it myself, but just wanna know for sure what im getting into. I did ball joints on my ol 99 f250 few years ago, I was told how big of a pain they are, but it wasn't that bad.

Zmann

Reaction score
search around for write ups

if u did ball joints you can do the seals IMHO

Zmann

Reaction score
oh and 2 oil seals and some oil for $250 is bull chit

RTV for the diff seal

remember it's not a 911 repair the diff only needs it's oil when it's being used and the oil seal is so high that u won't be running it dry any time soon

Last edited:

deangarth

Reaction score
oh and 2 oil seals and some oil for $250 is bull chit

RTV for the diff seal

remember it's not a 911 repair the diff only needs it's oil when it's being used and the oil seal is so high that u won't be running it dry any time soon

no that was for all 6 seals, the 2 inner oil seals, and the outer 4 dust deals... sorry shoulda specified. and ya I think I could do it. just wanna know if there is anything I should be aware of or some special tool(s) that I will need. I went to school to be a diesel mechanic so I know a few things. lol

Zmann

Reaction score
outer dust seals are only 2 so I am guessing the other 2 are the knuckle seals

so 250 is more believable

Lang

Reaction score
Google axle seals for 7.3, they are in the axle so ya that may be a lil expensive bc of labor

Zmann

Reaction score
I know where all the seals are in that axle

He stated $250 for parts only and that the price I was questioning
because it sounded like it was just the 2 inner seals and oil

but now it appears to Be 1 inner 2 dust and 2 knuckle seals the knuckles are pricey
so it is a decent price for shop supplied parts

Guzzle never gets that in depth with his write up but others are out there

skylinedan

Reaction score
The seals behind the unit bearings are the pricey ones, gonna be about 100 for the two of those alone. Also need the tool to install them, at least it makes the job easier . The rest I don't know, have yet to do the inner, but did do them on a jeep and that was pita!!

Dslfumes

Reaction score
I rebuilt the whole front axle a few years ago when I had my 99. Me and a buddy knocked it out along with a case of beer on a Saturday. Not too bad of a job at all. Go to HomeDepot or somewhere similar and get a 2 1/2" screw floor flange, about a 12" long section of screw pipe and a pipe cap, screw it all together and taadaaa, you have the correct tool to press in the knuckle seals for about $10. I had a whole right up about the process posted on another forum but can't remember which one, if I find it I'll link it for you.

Sent while making out with your mom.

skylinedan

Reaction score
What about the inner axle seals on either side of the diff. ? I think may have one or both leaking after having the axle shafts out a few times in the last couple weeks. Anyone come up with a good DIY tool for installing those?

Latest posts

Members online