Finally killed the head gaskets...

Reaction score
I've been beating the **** out of my 6.0 for the last 10,000 miles. Warren 190/100s and a 68mm Powermax with billet wheel and GT40 turbine on stock head bolts. Been running Innovative Xtreme Street with no problems for most of it. Turned it up to Xtreme X just to see what would happen a week ago. Well....it worked until I raced my buddies LBZ (fully built motor, 20% nozzles, MTW Stage 3 turbo) today. Back to back 1/4 mile runs, I won in 4x4, he got me in 2x4. Coolant temp was 235 at the end of the second pull :doh: Got back to the shop and it had puked some coolant out.

Anyway, it's build time. Doing the usual ARPs and Black Diamond gaskets. This thing needs more air though so while it's apart I'm going to go a little deeper.

Starting with good used heads, doing a full port and polish, O-rings, and sleeved guides.

Colt Stage 1 Cam
RCD Chromoly Pushrods
RCD Valve springs
Ported Intake Manifold
6.7 Fuel Pump
Intake Elbow

Nothing crazy, just enough to have healthy airflow to hopefully clean up the 190/100s. It's got a pretty steady haze on a full throttle pull.

Reaction score
What kind of times were ya'll running? Also, I didn't even know mtw had gotten into duramax turbos....hmm

We've got the first one. It moves some air, still trying to get the tuning figured out. Haven't had a chance to to run either truck on a real 1/4 with the current setups. We run our ghetto 1/4 at 110ish in 2x4. The Duramax is getting an '05 Superduty front axle in the next week. Boost launch time!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been beating the **** out of my 6.0 for the last 10,000 miles. Warren 190/100s and a 68mm Powermax with billet wheel and GT40 turbine on stock head bolts. Been running Innovative Xtreme Street with no problems for most of it. Turned it up to Xtreme X just to see what would happen a week ago. Well....it worked until I raced my buddies LBZ (fully built motor, 20% nozzles, MTW Stage 3 turbo) today. Back to back 1/4 mile runs, I won in 4x4, he got me in 2x4. Coolant temp was 235 at the end of the second pull :doh: Got back to the shop and it had puked some coolant out.

Anyway, it's build time. Doing the usual ARPs and Black Diamond gaskets. This thing needs more air though so while it's apart I'm going to go a little deeper.

Starting with good used heads, doing a full port and polish, O-rings, and sleeved guides.

Colt Stage 1 Cam
RCD Chromoly Pushrods
RCD Valve springs
Ported Intake Manifold
6.7 Fuel Pump
Intake Elbow

Nothing crazy, just enough to have healthy airflow to hopefully clean up the 190/100s. It's got a pretty steady haze on a full throttle pull.

you need my cold side kit brutha, not just an elbow ;) I had no idea MTW made dmax turbos.

Reaction score
you need my cold side kit brutha, not just an elbow ;) I had no idea MTW made dmax turbos.

I was looking at yours, it's tempting. And we're still getting the bugs worked out of the MTW dmax, like I said we have the only one. Sucker moves some air though. Makes that LBZ sound like the most badass 6.0 you've ever heard.

Back to my truck, that cold side kit really make a difference? I put the Sinister IC pipes on after I started blowing the stock pipes off every ten miles.

access_max

Reaction score
That would do it, OP why black diamond gaskets? I did OEM when I studded mine.

Also, pix of the build please.

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
Xtreme X killed mine as well. That tune runs hard for sure. What's the cost for O ringing heads?

Reaction score

OE gaskets mean it comes with head bolts. Which is stupid.

I'll be posting lots of pics. I have some cracked heads laying around so I'm going to cut them up to see just how far these heads can be ported. :jammin:

04 f350

Reaction score

Exactly what I was thinking... Those gaskets his haven't had a good rep, yea they do come with bolts but I just threw them away its not like you have to use em. Just would hate to see you do all that work and then blow the gaskets again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.