6.0 FICM Tune questions

ghohouston

Reaction score
Looking to get a bit more power out of my work truck. It's bone stock, no studs. I'm not looking for stupid power from it, or to pop my head gaskets. What would you guys recommend? I'm thinking the Atlas 40, but have 0 experience with ficm tuning. And yes, I know with any kind of tune on a 6.0, you risk lifting the heads.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'd just get an SCT with a mild tune on it honestly. Not that the FICM tuning is bad, but the SCT is the better value in the long run, plus it will tune the trans, where the FICM tuning will not.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Alright. Totally didn't think about ficm tune not tuning trans as well... if I get an sct, I'll definitely get matts tunes. Where can I find the cheapest sct's at? Im still in the dinosaur 7.3 crowd when it comes to what I own, but this is my company truck. With the sct, I can just hook up to a computer and get Matt to email me tunes, right?

05stroker350

Reaction score
Alright. Totally didn't think about ficm tune not tuning trans as well... if I get an sct, I'll definitely get matts tunes. Where can I find the cheapest sct's at? Im still in the dinosaur 7.3 crowd when it comes to what I own, but this is my company truck. With the sct, I can just hook up to a computer and get Matt to email me tunes, right?

Correct. X3's are pretty much the same price everywhere unless you buy a used one. The Livewire would be worth a look if you don't have a way to monitor things already.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Correct. X3's are pretty much the same price everywhere unless you buy a used one. The Livewire would be worth a look if you don't have a way to monitor things already.

So am I stuck buying one with "canned tunes" already on it, or can you find a "blank" one for less, since it will be getting the srl tune I suppose.

sootie

Reaction score
3000 is the blank one, 3015 has canned tunes and space for custom.

couple that with an Edge CTS and you are golden.

i dont recommend the livewire TS. their touch display sucks and usually requires being replaced annually. oh and in the cold-they do all kinds of wacky stuff.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Found a x4 on craigslist for about $300, about 10 minutes from me. Guy used it on his mustang and got rid of it. Once I confirm its the right model, I'll buy it. It's not married or locked to his car.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'd go for the X4 personally, since it already doubles as a monitor. No point buying an X3, only to buy an Edge CTS to monitor right after.

As long as it's not married or locked, it's good to go. You should be able to put custom tunes on it no matter what. I've bought X-cal2's from Mustang guys to use on powerstrokes. The pre-loaded tunes don't matter, as long as it can actually take custom tunes. Check with Matt or Eric on that for sure though.

6.0xcursion

Reaction score
You can get a mount for the X4 also if you want to use it for monitoring, you just have to unplug it when your not using it.

Latest posts

Members online