possibly moving to jacksonvile, FL

nickg9785

Reaction score
hey guys im from Long Island NY right now born and raised here. my fiance got a really good job offer in jacksonville Fl. currently im a diesel mechanic. im 24 years old and i have been a mechanic since i got outta high school. i dont know the area at all so im looking for some advice on places to check out for work and a place to rent for now. and areas to stay away from. ive done some job searching online and it seems like theres a pretty big demand for work. also wondering about the pay there compared to NY as a mechanic. any help would be appreciated. thanks guys

RedRice589

Reaction score
Not sure on pay but I'm sure you'll be fine living costs aren't too bad. There is a ton of area and it's a large city area. Very spread out. There are a couple diesel shops over there but I can't remember the names I think Forst coast diesel performance. Maybe another.

RSK

Reaction score
Yes I checked out first coast online, I'll be flying down there this month sometime and going to do some job hunting

if you have a cdl and are ASE certified that will help a lot, I would try to get a job with the town or city. working on there stuff, it will all be rust free and your days will be very easy. Good luck, I wish I was moving to Florida.

Pstrke96

Reaction score
I live in fl and have friends in ja. Beach try publix grocery there dist warehouse is there and are always hiring wrenches in the tractor trailer division I want to say they start in the 12-15 range pending exp, cdl etc

RSK

Reaction score
will do thanks for the help. woah 12-15 an hr didn't realize pay is that low in Fl compared to NY.

cost of living is a lot less too...Long Island/CT/NJ are the most expensive places to live in the country.

RedRice589

Reaction score
cost of living is a lot less too...Long Island/CT/NJ are the most expensive places to live in the country.

That's very true... Plus white sandy beaches teeny boppers in bikinis.... Alligators..... Bugs, spiders, hippies.... Wonderful place!

RedRice589

Reaction score
There's beautiful beaches and water everywhere. Nice lakes. People are a hell of a lot friendlier and old people are all over and in the way!! It's awesome!

dsberman94

Reaction score
There's beautiful beaches and water everywhere. Nice lakes. People are a hell of a lot friendlier and old people are all over and in the way!! It's awesome!

everything except for the old people sounds awesome. not to mention, my family who lives down there gets $50 each season passes to disney.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I'm thinking about moving down there in a year. My girl's sister and her boyfriend (one of my best friends) just moved down there for work.

dsberman94

Reaction score
my grandmother goes down every winter and both my grandparents went down before my grandfather passed. winters are actually nice up here when all the old people and new yorkers go south.

Latest posts

Members online