Diesel Newb

Squatchinator

Reaction score
Hey y'all! I just bought a 99 F250 pretty cheap with a V10 that has an extra hole in the block with the idea of swapping it out with a 7.3. This will be my first diesel truck, I've had plenty of gas trucks and swapped plenty of engines, but never gone from gas to diesel. I've got a little experience with diesel in tractors, but not pickups.

In some ways i have a million questions, and in others I don't have enough information to ask questions yet..

I reckon the first thing is finding a donor truck, best i can figure i need a 99-02 F250-F550 (obviously with a 7.3). But after that I'm thinking what all else I'm gonna need depends on what shape the donor is in.

So i guess the only questions i have at this point are:

Whats the best place to find a donor truck? I've been checking copart, are there any other/better sites?
Assuming normal wear, what would be the cutoff on mileage i should look for? With a gas engine I wouldn't transplant anything with more than 150K without rebuilding it first, but i know diesels last a lot longer.

Also I'm not looking to make this just a stock truck, But i honestly don't know yet what all id want to beef up on it.
I know, I've got a long way to go and a lot to learn, but that's why I'm here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

truckman1974

Reaction score
Welcome.... I don't know how much you're looking to spend on an engine, but Sunrise Ford (a vendor on this site, who offers forum discounts) has, listed on ebay a brand new crate engine (6.7) on ebay for $9800. That price includes a $3000 core charge, so you're really paying $6800 after you get your core charge back, for a brand new engine that comes with a 2 year Manufacturer's warranty. Might be the way to go...

Either way, you're braver than I am....especially as a first time diesel owner. Good luck my friend!

Here's the link to that engine mentioned above:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-BC3Z60...:F-250+Super+Duty&hash=item4627332319&vxp=mtr

superpsd

Reaction score
The other thing to look into is changing the title to a diesel powered rig. Depending on your states DOL laws I can sometimes be a hassle and sometimes as easy as "change this to a diesel please".