SPE's 7.3 on the Dyno

V-Ref

Reaction score
Why no girdle? Block flex and main cap walk is a known issue with 7.3s

Also why stick with stock heads and cam on a full build like this?
I'd imagine budget would be the driving factor in these decisions....stuff gets expensive quick.

Be interested in seeing the numbers this truck puts down on the track, and on the same dyno with S483.

Isn't 775hp a new 7.3 fuel only "record" #?
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8863

Reaction score
I'd imagine budget would be the driving factor in these decisions....stuff gets expensive quick.

Be interested in seeing the numbers this truck puts down on the track, and on the same dyno with S483.

Isn't 775hp a new 7.3 fuel only "record" #?
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8863
Yeah it gets expensive quick but what's $500 for a girdle when your spending $15k just for piece of mind
I'm interested to see some track numbers as well I'd like to see how they compare to mine with head work and cam. I haven't had mine on a dyno yet.
David Hefner put down 820 or 840 on Rudys dyno last year on fuel with a single

emev0l

Reaction score
Yeah it gets expensive quick but what's $500 for a girdle when your spending $15k just for piece of mind
I'm interested to see some track numbers as well I'd like to see how they compare to mine with head work and cam. I haven't had mine on a dyno yet.

$750 with main studs, + cost of a line bore

Cam $600

Swamps heads are $3k and that's without fire rings

I would have cam and girdled it with aftermarket rods, if it was just forged rods I wouldn't bother, it's a throw away motor at that power level.

Either way I'm very impressed with the numbers it's putting down and I'm checking every few hours to see what the s483 does.

A time slip and some video of this truck ripping around would be icing on the cake.

If it made 775 with stock heads, a stock cam, and a small low pressure, I can only imagine what it would do with heads, cam, and the 83.

I hope you keep pushing it!

V-Ref

Reaction score
I agree it'd make sense. You add 5-6% to the build cost and gain xx% peace of mind.

I'm on my phone so if your track time is in your sig...my bad. What weight/et/trap speed are you at?

I didn't know there are evidently a few builds that are challenging Mike O's, Brian Jelichs, and Jason Kubis low 700 hp #s that seemed to be the limit for the ole 7.3 for years now....good stuff.

Reaction score
I agree it'd make sense. You add 5-6% to the build cost and gain xx% peace of mind.

I'm on my phone so if your track time is in your sig...my bad. What weight/et/trap speed are you at?

I didn't know there are evidently a few builds that are challenging Mike O's, Brian Jelichs, and Jason Kubis low 700 hp #s that seemed to be the limit for the ole 7.3 for years now....good stuff.

I don't have my sig updated but 7.2@96 at 7750 on fuel with a single. It is in bad need of some slicks. Then I can really see what its got I haven't got a good 60 yet because of spinning

Reaction score
I give it a year and the 7.3 will be a 1000 to the ground and drivable... With cam and piston development in order we will be close to 2.6/2.8 competition level easily... This is so good to see happening!!!

cbf9703

Reaction score
Why no girdle? Block flex and main cap walk is a known issue with 7.3s

Also why stick with stock heads and cam on a full build like this?
x2

I'm curious, why'd you guys stick with stock heads and cam?
I'm also curious why no port work at a minimum. It's awesome to see a 7.3 performing well, but it seems limited by air right now with stock heads... but who am I to judge if it's working for them? lol. I'm interested to see the next steps for this one.

Reaction score
I give it a year and the 7.3 will be a 1000 to the ground and drivable... With cam and piston development in order we will be close to 2.6/2.8 competition level easily... This is so good to see happening!!!

1000 and drivable is ALOT closer than you think. Not everything makes it on the internet. With huei injection a 7.3 will never compete in midwest 2.6 classes the injection is to slow and limited and limited by the turbo in 2.6. Cams have been out for years now i dont understand why people are just now catching on to the benefits...

Reaction score
If it is so close with 7.3 and 6.0 what is holding the 6.4 back from making 1200+

7.3 is not close to 1200+ i cant speak for the 6.0 as i dont know that much about the truck. But 6.4s are there take a look at midwest pulling truck he was a top runner in 2.6 this year and has more to come next season. All it takes is money

Reaction score
In my honest opinion if someone were to develop a set of true competition pistons, like the "Mahle's" Swamps offers, I called Ross they said they build an industrial like piston, with a larger bowl and lower "installed height" someone could build a truly "engineered pulling engine and compete.. This all goes back to the days of Big Cams and 3406b's, when I built a competition 3406b for a guy years back we used 14.2/1 one machined down pistons for an industrial engine, I used a dial indicator to determine the installed height to determine where the timing needed to be, needless to say we were running Sigma Plungers, yes Sigma does build plungers for B model pumps, just got have a hefty check book. If we used pistons with a lower compression ratio and lower installation height we could effectively lengthen the crank window to help with the fuel control and the ability to use it. If we look back in time NTC 400s used low low compression and NTC290s used high compression.. I may be full of b.s but when you construct an engine that makes 1250 hp and goes to 50 plus pulls and does pretty good, I can say this info was greatly learned from a few I talked to at Columbus diesel injection about compresson ratios, timing and the start of injection point. Imagine what a true cut piston, with a sooner (lower compression ratio/lower installed height) start of injection could do, then we could finally empty out all of our 450cc injectors efficiently.. I don't think anyone has been truly bold enough to try this other than people like Billy Zimmer or Ben Miller, but here again guys who were willing to put up serious coin and expierement.. Yeah it takes money, but if you look at Cummins guys, they are running a piston that resembles more of an industrial design, no quench area like a 7.3 piston.. I know this will prolly get ruled out on this forum, but this is my two cents from building a Hot stock 3406b..

campbellflage

Reaction score
They are not listed on our site. We are in the middle of transferring servers at this time. We will update our site once everything is switched over. In the meantime, feel free to give us a call. :D

Whats the timeline of the SPE specific products to be added to the site?