6.0 dies when warm

nsfr1206

Reaction score
I went to look at a 2000 7.3 ccsb 4x4 this morning to buy as a possible part out truck. He also had an 04 6.0 ccsb 4x4 and so I ended up making a deal on them both. The 6.0 has been parked due to an oil pressure issue.
When truck is cold it starts fine. After it warms up it will die and then can be started back up. He had a mechanic lined up to fix it but mechanic wrecked his race car and died. He had told owner that an o ring would let oil pressure by when it warmed up and would let engine die. Sound familiar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
depending on which year model the engine is, it could be the STC fitting on the hpop or stand pipe & dummy plug o-rings leaking.

nsfr1206

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. The mechanic had told him 1200$ but I think that included a new radiator too

nsfr1206

Reaction score
The man I bought it from had to clean out truck so I can go get it. I’ll know more then.

CJunkie

Reaction score
Pressure testing the high pressure circuit with shop air would be the best and quickest way to determine where the leak is. You can buy a special hose with a fitting end that threads into the ipr bore in the hpop cover if you like.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

bismic

Reaction score
I went to look at a 2000 7.3 ccsb 4x4 this morning to buy as a possible part out truck. He also had an 04 6.0 ccsb 4x4 and so I ended up making a deal on them both. The 6.0 has been parked due to an oil pressure issue.
When truck is cold it starts fine. After it warms up it will die and then can be started back up. He had a mechanic lined up to fix it but mechanic wrecked his race car and died. He had told owner that an o ring would let oil pressure by when it warmed up and would let engine die. Sound familiar?

Since it is an 04, you have a swash plate type HPOP. This is the "weak" HPOP. Even the late 04's have this type of HPOP. The late 04 pumps were upgraded in capacity only, not in reliability. In 05, they went to a different HPOP which proved to be very reliable. The good news is that you wouldn't have the failure prone STC fitting since it is an 04, but if it is a "late 04" model year, you could have the leak prone dummy plugs and standpipes that the "early 04" didn't have.

+1 to leak test the high pressure oil system w/ shop air!

If it turns out to be a bad HPOP, I would spend the extra $$'s and install a Dieselsite Adrenaline HPOP. The OEM 03-04 HPOPs are not reliable IMO. CNCFab sells an upgraded HPOP that is getting good service life, but they are sold out currently. Terminator sells a T500 for this application that states it eliminates the root cause of the weakness. It probably does since it has a good reputation in the 7.3L arena. It is cheaper than the Adrenaline pump.

Last edited:

nsfr1206

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I’ll get it home and probably have more questions.

bismic

Reaction score
When we say "late 04", the production date for those began 9/29/03. Remember the early model years always begin rolling off the production line mid-year the year before.

Also, the typical sign of a bad HPOP is gurgling or air sound from the oil filter housing (filter removed) when doing the air test.

nsfr1206

Reaction score
I went and got the truck today. We had to jump
It off. It had been sitting for 6 months or so. I think I’ll have to go buy batteries tomorrow before I can do much more testing. Where do I buy a fitting to do the air test? Where’s the best place to hook it in?
On the year, the truck was built in late 03 but I suppose I need the engine year, don’t I?

bismic

Reaction score
The truck build date would work. That is the 9/29/03 date I was referring to.

To simplify it, locate the ICP sensor. Post its location.

IMO it is easy to air test from the ICP location if it is on the passenger valve cover. The problem with that is that sometimes a leaking IPR valve (if it leaks even when electrically closed) can cause you to fail the test and can leave you wondering if it is the IPR or maybe something else. Pressure testing from the IPR location (removing it and using the specific test fitting for that location) eliminates the IPR confusion, but is a little more work.

https://www.amazon.com/Vincool-Ford...ocphy=9028155&hvtargid=pla-568587025086&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/TamerX-Test-Fitting-Powerstroke-2003-2010/dp/B071G1SSWW

If your ICP is behind the turbo, then I would for sure buy the IPR test fitting. They sell them pretty cheap now on Amazon and EBay.

I haven't bought from either of these sources, so look the reviews over ... but it gives you the idea of what you need.

Last edited:

nsfr1206

Reaction score
Ok. I just went out and removed the batteries. There is a fitting with electrical to it located on the forward part of passenger valve cover. Is this the icp?

nsfr1206

Reaction score
9f36410b0f89919be16f565c571d2297.jpg

See any problems here? The truck cranks for a few seconds before it starts but then idles and revs perfectly. I haven’t driven it on road yet. The po says it can drive always in cool weather before it shuts off and then just does when it returns to idle. Then you can restart with a shot of ether and go until you stop and idle again.

bismic

Reaction score
We need to see the readings when the oil is up to temperature ... if possible.

nsfr1206

Reaction score
Sure. I can do that. What oil temp do you want to see them at?

bismic

Reaction score
ICP doesn't look bad at a warm idle, but the engine isn't fully up to temp with the coolant at 165 *F.

The interesting thing is that the oil temp is already 15 degrees higher than the coolant and the engine probably isn't all the way warmed up yet.

Looks like you probably have a plugged oil cooler.

What is the oil temp when the coolant is 192-194 degrees and stable (at idle and at 65 mph driving speed)?

If possible, the ICP data would be better at full oil temp (which typically is 195-200 *F .... or even higher w/ a plugged oil cooler).

nsfr1206

Reaction score
24826bfd1400791c741f1d6b4e1f08c5.jpg

This is after driving 8 miles or so and idling I think.

bismic

Reaction score
That is beginning to show the issue w/ the high pressure oil system. The IPR command at 30% with a low ICP pressure of only a couple of hundred psig is a fairly sure sign of a leak (or a bad pump). Also, the oil temp differential continues to increase as the coolant approaches its steady start value (thermostat design) of 192*F or so. It has increased to a 30 degree differential and still hasn't stabilized. Looks like the oil cooler is severely plugged.

The highway data shows an ICP pressure of about 400 psig with an IPR command of almost 40%. Not good.

Last edited:

nsfr1206

Reaction score
3a4fda0d428943088333f699ad7c8891.jpg

Ran very good while I was out driving. When I got home I backed into shop and shut it off. Then I tried to restart and it just turns over. This is the screen while turning over.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.