Newbie, 1997 F250HD project.

Rivermaster23

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought a 1997 F250HD Ex Cab 4x4 PowerStroke with 18k miles. Belonged to a local Fire Department and was used to haul a 5th Wheel.
The cab was damaged after it tipped over on a steep embankment. I have a 1997 7.5L gas donor truck that I plan to swap the cab and bed onto the Powerstroke Chassis.
Since the interior on the PowerStroke is in like new condition I will swap everything over into the donor cab. Headliner to carpets, dash, pedals, steering wheel, seats etc.
All the firewall mounted components are like new, brake booster, Master, A/C components, wiper motor you name it, with 17,800 miles and twenty years of being parked indoors at the station.
My question to the group as anyone ever swapped a gas body onto a diesel chassis and if so what are the items I should have on hand during the swap?
It looks like the firewall mounted heat shield will need to be installed on the gas cab firewall, are these held on with fasteners or adhesive?
All the body bushing are in great condition, no splits but after 21 years perhaps new would be wise if parts are available...
Just trying to get my ducks in a row for this project, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Earl

79jasper

Reaction score
You literally have to swap everything. Wiring, cluster. All of it.
I think the heat shields were held on with a type of rivet.
Other than that, nothing to it but to do it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Strokersace

Reaction score
I've done several over the years. The last one I did about 8 years ago was swap an F150 supercab long bed onto an F250 powerstroke chassis. That sure turned some heads when people are saw the F150 on the fender but the rumble of the PSD!

Interior and exterior are a complete swap of electronics.

The big difference is the heat shield on the engine side and the sound deadener on the inside of the firewall. You can do the heat shield 2 ways:

1. Use the stock PSD shield. Either weld mounting studs onto the firewall like the PSD cab has, or hold it on via rivets and fender washers. I've done both. If you don't want to weld, then drill/rivet. If you don't want to drill holes, then weld studs.

2. Use an aftermarket heat shield product that has adhesive backing. This is what I opted to do on the F150 cab. I actually put sound deadener on 1st, then the stick on heat shield next. Actually takes up less room off the firewall than the factory shield.

The other difference is that in the diesel cab, the out sound deadener product on the inside of the firewall. I didn't know this on the 1st cab swap I did and it was always noisier in the cab than other PSD trucks. Realized it on the 2nd swap. When you pull the dash and heater core components, there's a "closed cell mat" held onto the firewall with rubber push tabs that can be reused if removed carefully. Pull this off and it'll be the bare metal of the firewall. Put dynomat or the like sound deadening on the firewall as well. You can just do the hump behind the engine and down pipe or go all out like I did and do the entire inside of the firewall. Reinstall the mat, then the PSD complete dash, and you're in business.

Good luck and post some pictures!

Rivermaster23

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys, I’ll post photos of the project once I get started. I may not use the 7.5L donor truck after all as I am working on a deal now to buy a 2WD 97’ PowerStroke so the swap may get a lot easier (if I can get the cash together!)

Latest posts

Members online