Radio install issues

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Hey fellas.
Previous owner installed a bt/aux single din pioneer radio in my truck. Volume range is 0-50. Whether its radio, bt, or aux you can't hear anything until valume is in the 40 range. After that it's not loud, but you can here it. I pulled it out and the wiring looks good... can't find anything wrong with it. Speakers are original (I know... change them) but they are clear when I turn up the volume. Just wondering if I should start from scratch, just get new speakers, or if this is a common, or uncommon issue.
Radio saves presets etc.

jschildm

Reaction score
If it has the premium audio system (not sure on its exact name), there is an amplifier in the system. It seems like I remember reading at some point that if you have this system, to get the most out of an aftermarket radio you should bypass the amplifier, because internal amp is likely better.

Reaction score
If the truck came from the factory with the premium sound option, it will have an amplifier under the dash and mounted above the accelerator pedal on a plate. It will have it own harness. The premium sound factory head units had one "normal looking" 1-row by 8-pin connector for power and grounds and a funky squarish 2-row by 4-pins connector that went to the amp. You could get pigtail adapters to use those, but the easiest thing to do was to remove the amp and it's harness and pull the harness back up to the radio opening. This would put the truck in the configuration of a truck with no premium sound and two "normal looking" 1-row by 8-pin connectors where the adapter pigtails are easily found. That's what I did on my 94 when I put the aftermarket unit in. One connector will have the power and grounds and the other will be for the speakers. See the attached for an idea. Cheers!

Attachments

• 130-001 Radio.pdf
    240.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 130-002 PS Radio.pdf
    283.8 KB · Views: 40

old man dave

Reaction score
As I recall, the connector from the truck speaker harness to the standard deck and the amplifier are the same. The power and illumination connector for the standard deck and the premium sound deck are the same also.

So, once you have disconnected the standard deck, or the premium sound deck/amplifier, the power/lighting plugs to the deck and the speaker output plugs to the truck harness will work with a regular adaptor plug set with power/lighting and speaker connectors for the aftermarket deck. No special considerations for the premium sound setup compared to the standard sound setup when installing an aftermarket deck

Double check the speaker wiring to the adaptor plugs from the deck and the speaker connections if there are aftermarket speakers.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Got it. That is fellas. Previous owner only had the door speakers hooked into the head unit from the amp. I added some splinters and got it all hooked up.

Latest posts

Members online