7.3 Oil galley plugs

machineman

Reaction score
I am really hoping that one of you guys can whip this off right off the top of your head because I am hitting some brick walls; even with the local Ford dealer.

Does anyone know of either an exact size or a Ford part number for the two oil galley plugs that are at the rear of the block, just above the cam tunnel? They are the press in type.

My Ford guy claims he is not seeing anything on his exploded drawings and, after e-mailing me a copy, I can see what he means but I know there are plugs that are supposed to be there.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I think he’s talking about the plugs that are at the end of low pressure engine oil gallery that feed the lifters in the block.

I’ll do some looking.

machineman

Reaction score
Yes, those are the ones. They don't measure quite 1/2" and, according to some sources like Pioneer, there are several plugs showing as 1/2" but they measure differently. I just want to avoid having something with too much or too little press because, either way, they could pop out.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Pipe thread them and put in a pipe plug.

Best option right there.

We went through this on a fresh build a few months ago. Called the engine builder and he suspected these were left out. Pulled the trans and flywheel and there it was. If I recall the hole was 1/2" or very close, so the plug would be 1/2" freeze plug. I don't have a motor exposed to measure, so if you have the diameter of the hole, if it's .497 or so then a .500 freeze plug will work.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Best option right there.

We went through this on a fresh build a few months ago. Called the engine builder and he suspected these were left out. Pulled the trans and flywheel and there it was. If I recall the hole was 1/2" or very close, so the plug would be 1/2" freeze plug. I don't have a motor exposed to measure, so if you have the diameter of the hole, if it's .497 or so then a .500 freeze plug will work.

Damn I’m learning all kinds of chit here...

Basically do we even need the two holes? Couldn’t I just weld her up nice and clean or it’s used as an exit port of some sort? Thx!

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I wouldn’t weld it. Warping, slag, and never know if it was clean enough.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Damn I’m learning all kinds of chit here...
Basically do we even need the two holes? Couldn’t I just weld her up nice and clean or it’s used as an exit port of some sort? Thx!

You don't want to permenantly cover those holes. Those are main oiling passages. When the engine gets rebuilt that's the best (only?) way to make sure junk is cleaned out of those passages.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yep, and if you pipe thread them, remember that a pipe thread is a tapered thread, If you over tighten, you will crack the block. Wrap the treads with tow layers of yellow thread tape and snug them up good.

Latest posts

Members online