HPOP Gaskets Leaking - \

rrchlin

Reaction score
Hey so seconds into a burnout my truck shut off. Oil was leaking heavily down the motor and it wouldn't restart. I quickly diagnosed it as some an HPOP leak. 200 cranking HPOP PSI.

I wasn't able to determine where it leaked from and figured I could just swap a T-500 I bought on CL last summer.. But this one leaks also in the same way.

I get 250 cranking PSI on this HPOP and it leaks.. looking to be at the base gasket.

I know the HPOP has to come back out now to determine the leak but I was wondering what kind of pressure is the HPOP gasket under? I don't imagine 500-3000 PSI.

Also.. my whole engine bay got sprayed when the truck shut off. With the new HPOP it kind of just leaks (may have blown in the past and sold to me)

My intentions were to just remove it.. maybe find a leak.. maybe not. And just rebolt it back in. I do have a new $45 set of o-rings but I was 1st thinking it was the gasket. Is this what people call the timing cover? (that I read breaks/has issues)

Magnum PD

Reaction score
The gasket that is between the HPOP and the front cover has very little pressure. Oil from lpop fills the reservoir then drains into the HPOP. The IPR will bleed off excess pressure through the top hole and back into the frnot cover.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Its probably an hpop line has a hole in it, or one of the o rings for the quick connects blew out. Have someone crank it while you watch for leaks.

rrchlin

Reaction score
The gasket that is between the HPOP and the front cover has very little pressure.

That's what I was thinking. It's really hard to see everything with all the wires, lines and fuel bowl in the way.. But the non serviceable plug or the gasket wold be the 2 things I absolutely can't see.

Original HPOP is crusty and covered in oil so it doesn't show any good signs of where it may have leaked. The used terminator is nice and clean and should hopefully show me where.

6.0 TECH, I've tried watching while jumping the solenoid and best I can see is just the flow of oil in the valley. Can't see where it coming from and don't see it spraying any. The only time spraying was when the truck shut off.

79jasper.. under the valve cover would be the start of the problem.. I put in baby swamps 2 weekends ago and was showin off for my brothers kids. Famous last words "we should do a burnout in that building"

I'll see tomorrow. Hoping its this non servicable plug now.

79jasper

Reaction score
While you do have a external leak (look at the high pressure oil line fittings going into the hpop) you still have a internal leak, since you're only hitting 250 psi. (Probably a injector oring)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
While you do have a external leak (look at the high pressure oil line fittings going into the hpop) you still have a internal leak, since you're only hitting 250 psi. (Probably a injector oring)

Seriously? How bout the fact that its probably out of oil? Or that the pump is pissing pretty much all the oil out before it gets tothe head? Lets think a little before making the guy do a bunch of work he doesnt have to...

79jasper

Reaction score
Seriously? How bout the fact that its probably out of oil? Or that the pump is pissing pretty much all the oil out before it gets tothe head? Lets think a little before making the guy do a bunch of work he doesnt have to...
Okay mrs master mechanic.
Btw, show me the quick disconnects on a obs. Go right ahead. I'll wait.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Okay mrs master mechanic.
Btw, show me the quick disconnects on a obs. Go right ahead. I'll wait.
Youre right, my bad on that, I deal mostly with super duty trucks. Doesnt change the fact that a massive external leak will cause low icp pressure...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Reaction score
Youre right, my bad on that, I deal mostly with super duty trucks. Doesnt change the fact that a massive external leak will cause low icp pressure...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Hpop doesn't care as much about supply pressure as it does volume.
I've had a quite substantial hpop gasket leak before, did not affect the way it ran, minus losing over a gallon of oil in a 5 mile drive.

rrchlin

Reaction score
Truck is a 96 Btw. And my figuring would be the major leak is whats causing low pressure. Im also under the impression that if i were to fill the HPOP manually, the truck would fire up.

I just pulled the fuel bowl and nothing stands out. I have a 3rd used HPOP out of a 97 Im going to swap in now.
I did buy an o-ring set this weekend.. But its for a super duty and doesnt come with o-rings for the plugs.

rrchlin

Reaction score
Ok well i got the 3rd Hpop in and no leaks but no start.
275 psi whil3 cranking.

I checked which IPR was on it and its the junkyard IPR.

The IPR % goes higher and higher, up to 50%. From what i quickly read, this sounds like IPR hanging?

Sucks cause i used channel locks to remove IPR. Gonna clean the connection and see if that helps. In case this is a no-no.. I just removed the tin nut and removed solenoid without much care. Seems like i should clean these points and maybe just swap the solenoid?

rrchlin

Reaction score
Ok.. not ruling out injector o-rings yet but I have a few things 1st.

The 3rd hpop wasn't leaking at 1st (maybe not fully primed?) but now an HPOP line (one with the 90 bend) is leaking. It could have all along but now its clearly leaking. I would think I'd of noticed this when it 1st broke down wihle I was checking for leaks. Or the 6 or 7 other times.

Fortunately I have a spare that I hope is good. I'm about to replace it but for future readers, would a popped line at 250psi cranking just pour out of the line or would it want to spray?

rrchlin

Reaction score
crazy.. swapped the line and it fired right up. sadly now I don't have the terminator in there and don't plan on playing with it for a few weeks.

if you have an hpop leak like this and don't think its the lines.. maybe pull off the plastic insulation to see better.

and to answer my own question.. 250psi cranking with a bad line will just pour out and not spray. at 500+ psi it will probably spray like how it did when it initially blew.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.