04 6.0 with oil in coolant after cooler swap

Jmztransport84

Reaction score
I have a 04 6.0 with rebuilt engine 55k studded and egr cooler from bpd. I recently installed a ipr reserch relocate oil cooler and noticed oil in coolant inside degas bottle. I swapped out oil cooler because that's the first thing that came into mind and after reading other threads. I did a flush with simple green and distilled water after. I didnt remove thermostat during flushes. Oil returned to degas bottle after a couple of days when truck is cold theres a layer of oil still. I'm thinking I didn't flush it good enough? Vince from ipr is saying the oil cooler base under intake is leaking from a oil gasket. I didnt buy this relocate unit to keep taking apart the intake to replace oil gaskets 2 years later. What do you guys think? Maybe flush with dawn dish soap and after cascade with thermostat off?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I have a 04 6.0 with rebuilt engine 55k studded and egr cooler from bpd. I recently installed a ipr reserch relocate oil cooler and noticed oil in coolant inside degas bottle. I swapped out oil cooler because that's the first thing that came into mind and after reading other threads. I did a flush with simple green and distilled water after. I didnt remove thermostat during flushes. Oil returned to degas bottle after a couple of days when truck is cold theres a layer of oil still. I'm thinking I didn't flush it good enough? Vince from ipr is saying the oil cooler base under intake is leaking from a oil gasket. I didnt buy this relocate unit to keep taking apart the intake to replace oil gaskets 2 years later. What do you guys think? Maybe flush with dawn dish soap and after cascade with thermostat off?
When you flushed it, how many simple green flushes did you do? Did you replace the hoses and degas? Did you pull the block plugs while flushing to ensure everything was out of the block?

I typically go thru 4 simple green flushes and a vc9 flush with contamination, whether it be oil or fuel. I pull the block plugs 1 at a time and flush the hell outta the block. I typically spend about a full day flushing the Damn thing. Then all the hoses, t stat, bottle, everything gets replaced.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Jmztransport84

Reaction score
I did 2 bottles of simple green, didnt replace hoses and degas bottle or t stat. I didnt pull the caps off block either. I probably should do another flush and take my time doing it with dawn dish soap and cascade. I'm scared I will replace all hoses, t stat and degas bottle and oil leak still mix with coolant. I dont think its head gaskets or oil cooler housing like vince from ipr said.

Jmztransport84

Reaction score
Found this cheap gasket on oil cooler base. Found alot of oil once I removed this cheap tan gasket. And on engine where it mounts up to it doesnt seem to seal good on part where coolant passage goes.

Attachments

• 20200522_175605.jpg
    20200522_175605.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20200522_205132.jpg
    20200522_205132.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • 20200522_175725.jpg
    20200522_175725.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200522_203551.jpg
    20200522_203551.jpg
    945.3 KB · Views: 54

bismic

Reaction score
I assume that tan gasket was part of the IPR Research kit? If so have you contacted them?

Jmztransport84

Reaction score
Yes but vince said he only uses oem and not tan or brown gaskets, he said he doesnt cheap on when it comes to that kind of stuff. That's what was in the kit when a local shop installed it. The oem gasket is blue and last more than 2 years. Sometimes I wish I would've gone with bpd if I'm still having to worry about crap like this. I bought this kit to stop worrying about this kind of crap not having to change gaskets every 2 years.

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
There are now like 6 different oil cooler base gaskets..there's red, purple, 1 shade different blue from OE, tan, brown....

They will all fail within 2 years......

No matter what kit I get now I always use the Ford packaged gasket.

bismic

Reaction score
There are now like 6 different oil cooler base gaskets..there's red, purple, 1 shade different blue from OE, tan, brown....

They will all fail within 2 years......

No matter what kit I get now I always use the Ford packaged gasket.

well said

Jmztransport84

Reaction score
So even if I put an OEM gasket it will still fail in 2 years? Or the cheap colored ones fail within 2 years u mean?

Jmztransport84

Reaction score
No OE is fine.

Update.... installed all new oem gaskets along with oil cooler housing and no more oil mixing with coolant. It's been 1 week and all good. Deltas stay within 3-5 degrees. Always use oem. Idk why these so called mechanics just dont care man!!

Latest posts

Members online