2011+ rear spring swap

sootie

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be doing the 2011 rear spring swap now. I just located some pretty nice take off springs from a 2015 with 30k on them (looks about right as 95% of the paint is still on them). The guy sold the truck with the lift on it and had these leftover. It comes with the axle brackets and U-bolts etc. Would you use the new style axle bracket that puts the U-bolt in the opposite direction - given that they came with the purchase? Thanks again Addicted for the write up.

Firstly, u-bolts are torque to yield and shouldn't be reused. (Had to say that, but I have reused with no issues)

Secondly, u-bolts down would be smarter as you wouldn't have to split the pack to modify

sootie

Reaction score
One more question: how did you handle the top overload? by your pics, one spring has the top overload leaf and the other spring does not. My truck has the overloads on it now, are the '11+ springs with the overload leaf compatible with the upper pads on an '01 truck?

The over load leaf is the single fat one on the bottom of the stack. The helper springs are on the top of the pack, and only contact the perches when there is weight in the bed.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Low capacity deavers for the best ride.
987ee0427d90c159d380f89d6b35e259.jpg

a163a05383876f5df8188b1e7e97c574.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addicted4

Reaction score
I went with f250 springs w/out the helper spring cause a run air bags. Secondly I split the spring so that I could retain the u-bolts facing up. If didn’t have the bags I would have used the newer style ubolts facing down.

As for the deavers, have no personal experience. Worth X $$$$ probably not imo.

liquidlounge

Reaction score
OK, I bought some pretty nice springs from a 2015 F350 and am ready to do this. My existing springs have some of the old BF Goodrich Velvet Ride shackles - I am going to assume these are shot as they are 20 years old, so I am getting new stock shackles. Do you use the late model shackle with the late model springs or do you use the old shackle with the new type springs? The part number for the shackle shows different for the 2008-16.

rescuejg

Reaction score
Addicted4

you mention the bed bolts and it looks like you removed the truck bed. What are your thoughts on removing the bed to do this job?

What are the nightmares trying to do it with the bed on the truck?

Addicted4

Reaction score
Take the bed off no questions. Laying down and doing this would suck and it would be difficult to drill all the holes with the bed on. Could it be done? Absolutely you could but pushing on the drill would not be fun.

rescuejg

Reaction score
Any tips or tricks for removing the bed?

How many guys are needed to lift it off easily?

Did you have to drop the gas tank as well?

If so I'll need to time the conversion to when the fuel tank is empty.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rescuejg

Reaction score
Fortunately my truck has been in so cal it's whole life. Every so often i find a difficult bolt, but i know it's nothing like what occurs in the rust belt.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rescuejg

Reaction score
I started doing a little research on bed removal. Some folks say the bed bolts and nuts should not be reused. It seems the reason is because at the factory these bolts actually cut the threads into the nuts. Any thoughts on this?

Maybe just make sure each bolt goes back into the same spot.

sootie

Reaction score
I started doing a little research on bed removal. Some folks say the bed bolts and nuts should not be reused. It seems the reason is because at the factory these bolts actually cut the threads into the nuts. Any thoughts on this?

Maybe just make sure each bolt goes back into the same spot.

Yes the bolts are thread cutters, but I wouldn't worry about what hole they go back into. I've reused them literally 100s of times. That being said, most of the time they are rusty and spin the cage nut anyway. I usually try each one once, then cut the head off and discard...

rescuejg

Reaction score
I went with f250 springs w/out the helper spring cause a run air bags. Secondly I split the spring so that I could retain the u-bolts facing up. If didn’t have the bags I would have used the newer style ubolts facing down.

As for the deavers, have no personal experience. Worth X $$$$ probably not imo.

What do you mean by "split the spring"

Thanks

Jack

rescuejg

Reaction score
Anyone know what size bolts I will need for the front spring hanger (to frame) I think I will also need two bolts where the old hanger was located as I think the frame is joined there.

Looking for exact specs as I would like to get them before I start tearing stuff apart.

Thanks

Latest posts