Going 38r in the 02

Reaction score
Pretty sure we're going with a 38r in my parents 02, it has (always has) major surge problems when trying to pull their 30' trailer. Not to mention the new charger will cool better too. Probably gonna do it in the next month or so, Not too worried about the noise, neither are they, I've made them watch countless YouTube videos of it so the they understand what they're in for as far as noise. I definitely shouldn't be worried about spool time, are their any other negatives other than noise and non rebuildable cartridge? In future when truck needs injectors it will get PIS 175/80s, so just asking for opinions I guess, any other considerations?

ghohouston

Reaction score
no, honestly a 38r is an EXCELLENT turbo. you may want to install a set of bellowed up pipes along with it though, while youre in there.

David N

Reaction score
just cuz you and a handful other guys out of thousands of them sold had one that didnt perform as expected doesn't mean his won't...

Easy killer... I wasn't attacking it.

I actually like mine. It's quieter and no more college girls constantly asking me what that noise is. LOL

I just can't say yay or nay whether it helped in my situation. When my wheel went in, I also switched to 200% nozzles, forged rods, push rods, studs, valve springs, and a better converter. So I can't say whether it helped in my situation or not.

So I just comment on how it quieted mine down. :D

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Easy killer... I wasn't attacking it.

I actually like mine. It's quieter and no more college girls constantly asking me what that noise is. LOL

I just can't say yay or nay whether it helped in my situation. When my wheel went in, I also switched to 200% nozzles, forged rods, push rods, studs, valve springs, and a better converter. So I can't say whether it helped in my situation or not.

So I just comment on how it quieted mine down. :D
I am easy.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just curious, what are yalls opinions on the two different billet wheels offered for the 38r? Riff Raff and DieselSite? Complete different design's
I dont know that one. I believe that clays wheel os a replica of the stoco cast wheel so I dont know what the benefits are to it. supposedly bobs wheel moves more air due to it being a 11 blade wheel.

dsberman94

Reaction score
^this guy^ says his 38r was really loud and used earplugs when towing with it. Not sure a YouTube video really captures it. Mine is definitely quieter than that though. I love mine. The louder the better and I won't be getting a billet wheel. Definitely do some bellowed up-pipes though. It'll be so much easier than trying to line up the stock ones and have them not leak.

Jason

Reaction score
The louder the better?? Piss on a whole bunch of noisy ass turbos. I'd rather have it quiet...I know it's there, I don't need a whole bunch of whistling and ruccus to remind me. I'm not driving a peterbilt here.

And FFS....they are UPPIPES...not uppies...I think that's one of my biggest peeves, I've even heard people call them that in conversation. Wtf is an uppie?????

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I have a dieselSite billet wheel in the garage I'm not going to use
I ran it for 3000 miles, still in perfect condition if you're interested.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The louder the better?? Piss on a whole bunch of noisy ass turbos. I'd rather have it quiet...I know it's there, I don't need a whole bunch of whistling and ruccus to remind me. I'm not driving a peterbilt here.

And FFS....they are UPPIPES...not uppies...I think that's one of my biggest peeves, I've even heard people call them that in conversation. Wtf is an uppie?????
same way I feel about tranny.. its trans or transmission. I use the word uppies too. I have bellowed uppies.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online