Stock piston Delip and Coated

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
and I'm not a doom and gloom guy... I've had awesome luck with all of my 6.4's. BUT, I've seen all the bad stuff happen, and while I can get a cab lift and R&R done cheap, it's still a dreadful PITA, and I HATE down time.

for less than $1k, you have enormous piece of mind against another week or few of down time and more than that thousand dollars in time/money/headache/logistics

Dan2427

Reaction score
What would I pay someone to put pistons in for me? I'm pretty good with a wrench but not sure if I'd feel comfortable doing this.

Dan2427

Reaction score
I don't have access to lift or engine lift either. But if I did this myself I'd do studs, rockers, and pistons.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
Pulled my pistons out, checked them, they passed, delipped and coated them, put them back in.

25k and ticking later, still running.

RSK

Reaction score
I don't have access to lift or engine lift either. But if I did this myself I'd do studs, rockers, and pistons.

you might pay around 1000 to have someone pull the cab off the truck, and do work like replace up pipes, or turbo's or a hpfp, then maybe another 1000 to pull the motor and maybe another 1000 to tear it down, bring the block and heads to the machine shop, and replace the stock pistons with HD ones, install new rockers, lifters, hd push rods,springs, might as well put a cam in while its apart and stud the heads when it goes back together. and that should include all fluids too. might pay more, might be less. I'd call some local shops around you work on 6.4 powerstrokes frequently.

Cknox121

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as op... Up pipes blown and pushing coolant. Trying to decide if I should do pistons or not. May wait till I have it tore down to decide if the stockers check out okay.

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

RSK

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as op... Up pipes blown and pushing coolant. Trying to decide if I should do pistons or not. May wait till I have it tore down to decide if the stockers check out okay.

I would do pistons, if the heads already have to come off, I'm doing HD up pipes whether mine are blown or not...but my predicament is my head gaskets aren't blown yet, and my truck runs fine. but i know my pistons could crack...

thumbo88

Reaction score
i have a question im wanting to build some big power on a budget so when i have head studs im going to up grade the pistons what else should i upgrade while the cab is off

Cknox121

Reaction score
I would do pistons, if the heads already have to come off, I'm doing HD up pipes whether mine are blown or not...but my predicament is my head gaskets aren't blown yet, and my truck runs fine. but i know my pistons could crack...

But what's the consensus on reusing the stockers and getting them delipped? Same as using heads that have cracks? Just like my other thread, who's to say the new heads won't crack after being studded. It's not like studding prevents cracks....

RSK

Reaction score
i have a question im wanting to build some big power on a budget so when i have head studs im going to up grade the pistons what else should i upgrade while the cab is off

i'd upgrade everything you can, if you budget doesn't allow everything to be done, buy pieces and when you have all the pieces then do it.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

shoot me a pm , I sell valve train kits with pushrods , lifters and springs for a good package deal, as well I stock international HD pistons, also ceramic coated , and anything else you could need !

co04cobra

Reaction score
How many failures have you guys seen with new or reused stock pistons delipped and coated.