88 F350 7.3 IDI no Wait to Start light

gthorn21

Reaction score
I just bought a 1988 F350 7.3L IDI and it was running good until the other day I got in it and the Wait To Start would not come on an would not crank. I was wondering if there were any common problems with this that I could check out. Thanks

MAC

Reaction score
The truck wouldn't crank at all? Or did it crank and just not start?

If the truck didn't crank at all did the rest of the truck have power?

Need lots of info in detail.

The rest of the truck having power but not cranking could mean a bad starter relay on the passenger fender, and the WTS light not coming on could mean a bad glow plug relay.

gthorn21

Reaction score
It would crank but not start. I was gone during this and my brother was looking at it for me he shot a spray of starting fluid in there an it crunk and ran fine but kill it and your back were you started

MAC

Reaction score
I would get a test light and check all the glow plugs first, this can be done by hooking the test light to the positive battery terminal, and touching the end of each glow plug one by one (still in the head) if the light turns on it's a good plug, if not it's a bad plug.

If you have any bad glow plugs only replace them with Motorcraft ZD9's you can get them at rockauto.com for a cheap price, or you can check ebay.

But if you find no bad glow plugs, then it is safe to say your glow plug relay has probably crapped out.

Easiest way to tell would be to jump the relay with a piece of wire, and listen for a loud click, if you don't hear a loud click the relay is bad, if you do hear a loud click the relay is good but it is not getting power from the ignition switch.

Check all your fuses too, yes sometimes it is something that simple.

gthorn21

Reaction score
All glow plugs tested good, took a jumper wire from post to post and heard nothing but on the post closest the passenger seat near firewall there are about 5 wires going to it and the front side post has no wires soing to it. Are there any wiring diagrams for this online to look at. I got the Wait To Start light to come on for a brief second after playing with the key and clutch pedal but it went back off.

I would get a test light and check all the glow plugs first, this can be done by hooking the test light to the positive battery terminal, and touching the end of each glow plug one by one (still in the head) if the light turns on it's a good plug, if not it's a bad plug.

If you have any bad glow plugs only replace them with Motorcraft ZD9's you can get them at rockauto.com for a cheap price, or you can check ebay.
But if you find no bad glow plugs, then it is safe to say your glow plug relay has probably crapped out.

Easiest way to tell would be to jump the relay with a piece of wire, and listen for a loud click, if you don't hear a loud click the relay is bad, if you do hear a loud click the relay is good but it is not getting power from the ignition switch.

Check all your fuses too, yes sometimes it is something that simple.

Latest posts

Members online